Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accidentally deleting views can't be undone?????????

Login to Give a bone

Default Accidentally deleting views can't be undone?????????

So let me get this straight. You right click on a view name in the project browser to change a property, but the mouse button clicks too soon* and you accidentally hit delete instead. Revit doesn't present a warning box. And doing this (sometimes) purges the undo queue so you can’t undo.

Is this really what we have come to expect from Revit? This is exactly why I complain so much. The design of this program is just plain sloppy!

Have any of you run into things like this? This isn't the first time it's happened to me, but it's the first time I didn't save right before it happened, so I had to take an hour just VERIFYING that I didn't lose any work: being very careful not to save, nor to save to central, opening backups, saving backups. Such a hassle!

*don't get me started on the mouse vs. keyboard debate.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Accidentally deleting views can't be undone?????????

That is a known issue and in most cases as you pointed out, the undo queue is lost. It might not be too bad to re-assemble the sheet since it's just a matter of dragging and dropping. If not, save often so if this happens and you don't feel like re-creating a sheet, you can just re-open your file without a lot of damage.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

SmartAlx

Maybe right clicking directly on a view name and deleting isn't the better way to do it since Revit will delete it with no dialog boxes asking if you are sure of what you are doing.

However, if you right click on the view annotation and select delete, it will show a dialog box asking you if you are sure of it.

It never happend to me to accidentally delete a view, but if it hapens often to you, try considering doing this and avoiding selecting the view name to go to its properties. I agree sometimes the Undo is purged for some reason and you may lose you work due to that.

Regards,

Andre Carvalho

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thats why i use F2

Login to Give a bone

Trust me, it happens to all of us I typically select the sheet view icon and click on the Properties instead of using the context menu. It avoids a lot of hassle. Although i do use the rename a lot from the context menu...I've learned to be reeeeaaaalllly careful.

Login to Give a bone

You are both missing the point.

I wasn't trying to delete. And I wasn't trying to rename. I was trying to change MULTIPLE views' properties. You can only change multiple views' properties by selecting them in the project browser, right clicking and selecting "properties."

And even if there were another way (like using the properties button - thank you dbaldacchino), the point is that there should be a warning if something is undoable. And better yet, how about this...
    never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever!!!!
    purge the undo queue.

Hate to compare to AutoCAD, but you can work all day long on AutoCAD and undo all the way to the moment you first opened the file. The undo queue is worth more than GOLD. It's priceless. It should be cherished and protected, not just thrown away.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    That is a known issue and in most cases as you pointed out, the undo queue is lost. It might not be too bad to re-assemble the sheet since it's just a matter of dragging and dropping. If not, save often so if this happens and you don't feel like re-creating a sheet, you can just re-open your file without a lot of damage.
    They weren't sheets. They were floor plan views, with lots of annotation.

I do save often, but in this case I couldn't because of the time crunch.

by the way dbaldacchino, You're in Missouri City? My Dad used to live there! I'm still in Houston.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise View Post
    Thats why i use F2
    I agree, I tell folks to do that most emphatically.

The feature of being able to trash potentially thousands of dollars worth of work with two mouse clicks is really something. Deleting a level is almost as fun!

I could stop if I wanted to gordolake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

A better way of using a portion of the journal file to repair from last saved backup might be a work around.

Steve

Login to Give a bone

Yes, I just found that today. Sadly, after I spend a great deal of time recovering the file. But I'll know next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast