Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accidentally deleting views can't be undone?????????

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Accidentally deleting views can't be undone?????????

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlx View Post
    ... never ever ever (...) ever!!!! purge the undo queue. (...) It's priceless. It should be cherished and protected, not just thrown away.
    I couldn't agree with you more!!! You have my backing on that one 110%!

Login to Give a bone

Yes you're right, happens to sheets and all other types of views and this is something a lot of users have ranted about and I'm sure support is aware of it (yes, it can be very, very bad!). As stated by Steve, the journal is your only route.....go back to a pre-saved version and run a journal consisting of all the commands executed just after the last save and just before the delete disaster. If you edited families in between, you might want to trim those things out of the journal or it won't run to completion.

SmartAlx, yep I am....very close to Sugarland. Don't you love Houston's weather?! I was at AU last week and I was wanting some humidity really bad!

EDIT: Oh and Daniel...thanks for the tip! I didn't know about the "F2" Windows shortcut to rename!! Shame on me.

Login to Give a bone

Another way to recover is to go to a pre-delete backup, open up the view you deleted and copy the drafting elements. Back in the original file recreate the view and paste, using some element to align to. Obviously don't grab model elements when you copy.

I used this method when a draftsman deleted elevation tags in a floor plan view he was thinking he was cleaning up........

If the project was workset enabled and you have multiple local copies not yet saved to Central, I would think you could duplicate with detail the view in another local copy then save to central. Or would that produce an error? You might have to detach a copy first?
    Last edited by Fred Blome; 2007-12-10 at 10:05 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

ALWAYS:

1. USE THE PROPERTY BUTTON IN THE TOOLBAR FOR VIEWS
    2. USE F2 TO RENAME VIEWS

I have accidentally deleted a few views in the past, but never any since I started following these rules

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Blome View Post
    If the project was workset enabled and you have multiple local copies not yet saved to Central, I would think you could duplicate with detail the view in another local copy then save to central. Or would that produce an error? You might have to detach a copy first?
    Fred ..... you just saved me hours of work. As far as I can tell, this worked beautifully, without detaching a copy, and with no errors. And, it seems F2 will be one of my new best friend.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlx View Post
    ... the point is that there should be a warning if something is undoable. And better yet, how about this...
    never ever .. ever!!!!
    purge the undo queue....
    SmartAlx is right. What's Adesk's excuse for that way that Revit doesn't work?

Another techniques is to have the script that makes your daily local RVT move the old local RVT to a backup folder first. That way if something drastic happens, you can open the old backup (detached from central) and copy/paste without having to understand the intricacies of getting the official backups.
    Last edited by truevis; 2008-08-15 at 01:54 AM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    Trust me, it happens to all of us
    I suspect that is more than enough reason to wonder why autodesk doesn't fix it. If it happens to everyone, and it arguably happens because of poor product design, then perhaps the product should be fixed? Or do we have to actually post this as a bug before autodesk can be bothered, as if they can't figure out for themselves what is broken and depend on us to do it all for them? You pay $5500 and for your money you also get to be autodesk quality control?

Gordon

I could stop if I wanted to rdaniel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'll add some fuel to the fire. This is ridiculous. I just had an architect loose a 1/2 day of work do to this. Granted he should have at least saved his local a half a dozen times and been able to recover it partially from those locations, but I don't understand why this along with other certain commands can not be undone.

There are so many buggy things like this that must be remedied, basic things that any Windows based software can execute correctly. The price point for this software is just too high to operate on this level. And now that subscription is forced, that just further raises my expectations that things just have to work.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

simplest is to move Delete from right beside(actually below/above) Rename in the Windows popup. How hard can it be? (or did Micro$oft demand that it be there to be certified windows?)
    Last edited by SkiSouth; 2009-07-02 at 03:17 AM. Reason: corrected directions

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    That is a known issue.
    Known by who? It is now 2015 - I'm using 2014 - and it is still an issue - 7-8 years later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12