Thread: Strange issue within mtext

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Strange issue within mtext

So being an engineering and survey firm, we work with legal descriptions. As some of you may know, the formating is different, but still easy. Anyhow, we seem to be having an issue qith the way things show up when copying text from a word doument and pasting into mtext. Do not recall it being an issue before. Basically, what is happening is that mtext is making the words 'for', as shown in attachment, a bulleted number or symbol or whatever you want to call it. So if my cursor is after the word 'for' and I press backspace, it actually deletes the entire thing. Of course, on the other side of the coin, if I press enter, it does nothing but a carriage return. Not sure why this is happening. Our legal descriptions are typically written in MS Word (MS Word 2007 of Office 2007) and then they can be pasted into the drawings mtext where needed. Have thought about exploring other options to keep it simple and potentially avoid these kinds of things, but for now, this is what I have. So a few things here in recap. Anyone know what is causing this? How to fix or correct this? And lastly, what methods do you employ for things like this?

Again, please see image attachments for more. Thanks much for your thoughtful insight and hopefully a resolution!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cadman_meg; 2007-12-17 at 09:37 AM. Reason: removed unrelated image reference

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Strange issue within mtext

We have not had that problem. The only problems we have had are with special charcters like the degree symbol and quotes for bearings. We use ALT+248 for the degree symbol and somewhere in the settings in Word we changed it to use straight quotes instead of smart quotes (I think that's what it's called).

My only suggestion for your problem would be to leave out the colon after the word "for" and add it after you paste it into Mtext.

Login to Give a bone

Have you tried importing the text from a .rtf or .txt file instead of just pasting it? This seems to help some problems I have had in the past, but then again not all. Worth a try.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Is there a 'TAB' between it and the rest of the sentance instead of spaces. When I'm doing a bulleted list, if I do the number, <tab> sentance, hitting a carraige return at the end initiates bulleting.

Just a thought.