Thread: Recovering Shared Parameter file

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Recovering Shared Parameter file

I am wondering if there is a way to recover or extract a "Shared Parameter" .txt file from an existing model? I think I deleted my file on my local drive and I can't find it anywhere else on my networks. Please let me know if you can help.

Thanks,
    Jeff S.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Recovering Shared Parameter file

O.K.

So if I go into the families I created previously and export their parameters into a new .txt. I should be able to recreate the original file. I love editing .txt files, when it tells me not to.

Cheers,

Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

...don't think so. You can only export parameters to a ODBC from a project. And that exports the values of the parameter - not all the setup info for the parameter. The thing you really need is the GUID. I don't think you'll find that. Matbe support can help out....

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple View Post
    ...don't think so. You can only export parameters to a ODBC from a project. And that exports the values of the parameter - not all the setup info for the parameter. The thing you really need is the GUID. I don't think you'll find that. Matbe support can help out....
    Are you sure? I was able to export the parameter into my .txt file from the family. I then was able to go into the .txt file and change the "Group ID" from 2 to 1. When I open up another family, select the shared parameters, browse to my list. The parameter is there for selection. The value is not transeferred into the second family. All I know is, what I did worked for me and my needs at the moment.

Thanks,
    Jeff S.
    Last edited by jsteinhauer; 2007-12-18 at 09:25 PM.

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It seems that all you have to do is open the family and edit a your shared parameters from the family editor and they will propagate from the family to the .txt file. I haven't done thorough testing, but I did some family creating at home with shared parameters by redirecting Revit to a local copy and later I switched Revit back to point to the network copy of the .txt file and the new parameters seemed to be there automagicly. YMMV

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can export a shared parameter from a project or a family as long as you have a valid shared parameter file already mapped to your session of Revit. If you don't you'll have to do that first in order to see the Export button active on the Parameter Properties dialog.

The idea is...you lost the file and you need to recreate the shared parameter from a family or project you know is using the definition.

As Aaron said before there is no active "link" between a shared parameter in a shared parameter file and a project or family. In my own way I think of the shared parameter file as a "dictionary". Revit uses this dictionary to supply the same "definition" of a "word" so that both a project and family understand what you mean when you use the "word". But the dictionary doesn "do" anything except hold onto the definitions of the "words".