Thread: Array Attributes in Dynamic Block

Login to Give a bone

Default Array Attributes in Dynamic Block

How do,
    I would like to create a Dynamic Block which would allow me to Array the Block AND the Attribute inside. I want a terminal block with an Text Attribute and be able to use the Array & Linear Actions in the Dynamic Block. I want to click on the blue arrow pull down and there are my terminal blocks. Each one with an Attribute for me to edit as I wish (better yet specify the start value and have all the Arrayed block increment).
    Can this be done? I'm still using 2006 so maybe a higher version of AutoCad might have the bells and whistles I need.
    Thanks and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Don Boyer
    Calgary

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Array Attributes in Dynamic Block

Quote Originally Posted by boyerd View Post
    I would like to create a Dynamic Block which would allow me to Array the Block AND the Attribute inside.
    Calgary
    I don't believe this is possible; Attributes, like parameters, are considered a property of the block and therefore cannot be arrayed.

I want a terminal block with an Text Attribute and be able to use the Array & Linear Actions in the Dynamic Block. I want to click on the blue arrow pull down and there are my terminal blocks. Each one with an Attribute for me to edit as I wish (better yet specify the start value and have all the Arrayed block increment).
    Can this be done?
    I think there are two ways you could go; either create a single terminal block and array (old-fashioned array, that is) insertion instances, or use fields. If your numbering system is always the same, it wouldn't be too difficult to construct a formula where you could number all of the terminal blocks either sequentially or in a row/column style.

If you can post a simple example of how you'd like to have the result set up and labeled I might be able to provide further help.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by StDoodle View Post
    I don't believe this is possible; Attributes, like parameters, are considered a property of the block and therefore cannot be arrayed.

I think there are two ways you could go; either create a single terminal block and array (old-fashioned array, that is) insertion instances, or use fields. If your numbering system is always the same, it wouldn't be too difficult to construct a formula where you could number all of the terminal blocks either sequentially or in a row/column style.

If you can post a simple example of how you'd like to have the result set up and labeled I might be able to provide further help.
    actually, you can't array attributes because duplicate attributes in a block are undesirable, and ACAD will prevent them if possible.

for example: make a block and copy your attribute a time or two, exit the Block Editor, then double click on your inserted example to see all the redness of the dialog box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

I never thought of using Fields instead of Attributes. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I will give it a try.
    Thank you

Login to Give a bone

I never thought of using Fields instead of Attributes. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I will give it a try.
    Thank you
    um, fields are not actually (and mostly usually) different than attributes. they are a way to display information via linking.

I don't know if placing fields in regular text will work either since they're in a block.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

look at the thread I created (dynamic block with arrayed text) You will have to do a seardch for the thread. I don't know yet how to put a link in this post.

This thread may help with what you are trying to do. It's not the exact same situation, but maybe you can us it to help.