Thread: Does anyone know how to send a plot file to an HP plotter on an IP address?

Login to Give a bone

Default Does anyone know how to send a plot file to an HP plotter on an IP address?

Sorry for mixed postings, but does anyone know how to copy a plot file to a plotter (specifically an HP 1100 Designjet) which is addressed through an IP port? Back in the "old" days we used to assign an LPT2 port to a network path and copy directly in a DOS window, which worked fine. Unfortunately, on a large new linux network, we can't do that anymore.

We've recently upgraded our HP Designjet plotter from an 800 to an 1100. I had hp/gl2 plot files created for the old plotter which i want to be able to copy to the new plotter which on this new linux network. Our IT guys at the office can't seem to figure out a way to do it.

Alternatively, I could reload the huge drawings and replot them directly, however the new HP 1100 plot driver doesn't seem to recognize a custom sheet size thats larger than B3. My plots are each about 600cm long by 90cm wide (roughly 20 feet x 3 feet). It seems to see the sheet size, but it only plots an 8.5 x 11 inch piece of the drawing and then spews out 19 feet of blank paper. After doing this 3 times, I figured i'd concentrate on a way to just copy the correctly created plot files. If anyone has any ideas - i'd appreciate a response. thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Does anyone know how to send a plot file to an HP plotter on an IP address?

So this plotter has a jet direct card in it and it's just hanging off the network, and not shared out through a print server?

Have you tried http://192.168.5.202 (or whatever the ip address is) in your web browser. For most HP printers, this is the UI to the internal print server, and some have a print submission tool. Don't have an 1100 here though, so I'm not sure about yours...
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Does anyone know how to send a plot file to an HP plotter on an IP address?

Thanks RK. I'll try that. I appreciate the response. Have a great holiday!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Maybe this will help... look here for GoPlot
    http://www.noliturbare.com/index.php

Login to Give a bone

We have an HP 5000 set up like that. When we set up the properties on the individual work stations, we have to tell them that the plotter is not shared. After that, it's printing as usual.
    Give people a job worth doing, the tools to do it, recognition of a job well done & get out of the way.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lpseifert View Post
    Maybe this will help... look here for GoPlot
    http://www.noliturbare.com/index.php

That seems to work well. Thanks for posting.