Thread: Better railing functionality

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wish List Administration

Default Better railing functionality

Summary: A railing tool that better deals with real life conditions of required railing extensions and returns (including multi-flight stairs & landing transitions), and baluster locations. As well as better handling of common commercial/institutional railing types like monolithic glass.

Description: A railing tool that better deals with real life conditions of required railing extensions and returns (including multi-flight stairs & landing transitions), and baluster locations. As well as better handling of common commercial/institutional railing types like monolithic glass.

How Used: I have worked on two projects that require monolithic glass railings. These types of rails require custom placed joints between the panels. I need to be able to place "balusters" or joints at regular intervals, I also need to tweak the location based on stair runs or length. The same is true for common metal picket rails with regards to correct baluster placement, and dealing with how all rails return to each other at ends & on multi-flight stairs.

Feature Affinity: Stairs, Ramps, and Railings

Submitted By: Robert Manna on September 24, 2007

Default Re: Better railing functionality

It is clear that the railing tool needs a ton of work. On any stair that is just a tiny bit unusual the railing tool produces wacky results. There really isn't a way to tweak railings to achieve what you want.

I could stop if I wanted to rmejia's Avatar

Default Re: Better railing functionality

The actual railing tool does present limitations, especially where railing meet and change level. Railings are probably one of the more complicated features to design. I hope this tool someday gets updated to be able to achieve "real" railings as they are built with ought the awkward connections it currently creates.

Thumbs down Re: Better railing functionality

Railing is really difficult to make automatically. That's why we have some limitations... On the other hand, the limitations are too many.
    Some times good generic modeling tools could make the difference
    Some other times, breaking the sketch lines could help a little.
    Generally, I don't use railings when making stairs, they are always wrong.

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Better railing functionality

Better railing functionality

Summary: A railing tool that better deals with real life conditions of required railing extensions and returns (including multi-flight stairs & landing transitions), and baluster locations. As well as better handling of common commercial/institutional railing types like monolithic glass.

Description: A railing tool that better deals with real life conditions of required railing extensions and returns (including multi-flight stairs & landing transitions), and baluster locations. As well as better handling of common commercial/institutional railing types like monolithic glass.

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Stairs

Submitted By: robert.manna on 09/24/2007

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Better railing functionality

Better railing functionality

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Stairs

Submitted By: robert.manna on 09/24/2007