Thread: We don't use Layouts (PS)

Login to Give a bone

Red face We don't use Layouts (PS)

It is my understanding that to use Sheet Sets, you have to use Layouts. Is this correct?

Also, are we the only ones that don't use Layouts???

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: We don't use Layouts (PS)

Yes.

No.

Login to Give a bone

As the revit guru stated.....Yes.......and No.

The SSM relies upon layouts.

Many companies still draw strictly in model space. In fact many of the drawings that I recieve from several other companies are just drawn in MS. I am presently converting all of our companies old drawings over to PS to take advantage of Sheet Sets. The previous drafters for my company drew in MS as well. So you aren't alone.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: We don't use Layouts (PS)

My company has over 100,000 legacy drawings in Modelspace, with raster hybrid attachments,
    and will not really ever generate a significant amount of new-from-scratch Autocad drawings.
    We specialize in incremental changes to established drawings, as our physical systems change
    over time. The 30 designers here feel that the so-called "Advances" in the new post-2000 plot machine
    are a hindrance, an annoyance at best, and a huge stumbling block at worst.
    Add to that, the fact that a marginally competent IT type has appointed himself Administrator of
    all STB, CTB, PC3 files, placing them on a "read-only" drive, removed the "Add-aPlotter" wizard,
    and tinkered mightily with all the new "Standards Enforcement" tools, and we find that we are
    in an eternal "Workaround" mode, simply to get product out to customers.
    Are we alone in our very strong nostalgia for the pre-2000 plot mechanism?
    Or conversely... Is there a consensus somewhere that the new plot machine has really hit a homerun?
    What is it that we are missing here? A-Desk made many parameters editable in separate interlinked files,
    which simply allowed tinkering IT types to self-aggrandize at the expense of a very competent
    in-situ design community that now resents being messed with.
    It was easier to simply set the plot parameters at plot-time,
    (as in printing 8 x 11 copy from Windows).
    Is Intellicad really the future?

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: We don't use Layouts (PS)

Thanks for your replies.

I just want to see if there are others that work like we do. I have always tried to think about how Layouts would benefit us, but can't think of how they would. We do primarily conveyor system layouts and associated details. We plot using a custom menu so the users don't have to think about setting up a paper size.

Am I missing something?

I suppose I would just have to try it out to see if they (Layouts) would offer us something.

Thanks,
    Jim

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Page Setup's

For a little info on Page Setup's refer to the following thread -

page setup

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Jim I found a simple solution to add a model layout (not really) to the sheet set manager,
    I just setup a new layout the finished size of the paper plot (A,B,C etc) & make the viewport the same size as the maximum printable area (dashed lines in layout). then just scale the window to the same scale you would normally plot your model space drawing to.

Then with the viewport active just Pan around until the title block is centered in the viewport. Next you can setup the plotter info & save the changes to the layout, & plot the drawing.

I have a master drawing with several different sizes of layouts in it, then I just drag & drop in Design Center to the drawing I'm working on, pan the window & I'm ready to plot.

If you work with more than 1 drawing in a drawing package it is well worth the effort to learn about the Sheet Set Manager & multiple layouts in 1 drawing.

hope this helps

Eamon

Login to Give a bone

You're almost certainly aware of all the following - but just in case:

"Plan" is probably the best command for centering the drawing in the floating viewport. Use "Zoom" "scalefactorXP" to get the definite scale you require.

Don't forget to lock the viewport display after this(using"Properties"), so that you can zoom around the Layout whilst in ModelSpace without messing up the scale.

PaperSpace was originally developed to aid 3D designers. You have one drawing containing your model/assembly then multiple viewports in paperspace for all the different views, sections and details. Judicous use of layers is required for this to work effectively - or make your lives easier with "Solprof". If you take this to the logical conclusion, "Layouts" allow you to use one drawing for an entire project regardless of it's complexity.

This also has the benefit of making life easier for any file management/document control system.

Further, on creating your layouts, have you created multiple named page set-ups so that the designers can print with a single button press from a menu?

I've also used layouts for P&IDs to show various PSSR highlights (upto 30 layouts).

Sorry if I've bored you

Graeme

Login to Give a bone

Airport baggage handling conveyor systems were the first thing I ever used paperspace for.
    The client didn't care about plotted scale for the layouts, just that the entire system was included. It was one viewport and Plan view or Zoom/Extents.

John B

All AUGI, all the time thomas.stright's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsweene
    Add to that, the fact that a marginally competent IT type has appointed himself Administrator of
    all STB, CTB, PC3 files, placing them on a "read-only" drive, removed the "Add-aPlotter" wizard,
    and tinkered mightily with all the new "Standards Enforcement" tools, and we find that we are
    in an eternal "Workaround" mode, simply to get product out to customers.
    Sounds like you need to talk to a higher up....

Quote Originally Posted by jsweene
    Is Intellicad really the future?
    You kidding...right??