Thread: Demo Note as Symbol - Leader Problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Demo Note as Symbol - Leader Problems

In order to note our demolition plans, I have created a generic annotation family with a box and number. Keynoting will not work for us in this case because there are times where the note is pointing to any specific element or multiple notes would be applied to elements of the same type. I have created a note block as a legend for the demolition notes and everything seemed good.

The problem I am having is with leaders. I can't control where they touch (or in most cases don't touch) the box of the note. In the screenshot below, the leader coming from the top is how I want all of them to look - the leader centered on the side of the box. Am I missing something here, or has someone come up with a better idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by lhanyok; 2008-01-10 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Edit: I've also included the .rfa file.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Demo Note as Symbol - Leader Problems

The annotation inside of your Generic annotation family is a nested generic annotation family that contains a single label. This seems like an extra step to link up the parameters to drive the instance parameter for your demo note into the nested family to display in the label. If you have a label in the main family that reflects the parameter Note ID, the leaders attach properly.

I know this does not exactly explain the leader behavior, but it might have something to do with the extents of the nested family, since the move handle is so low on the nested Generic Annotation family.

Login to Give a bone

That worked perfectly. Man, I sure am out of it after the holiday break. I don't even know why I nested in the generic annotation family in the first place.

I could stop if I wanted to Kevin Janik's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you look at your nested family the text insert or move point is lower because of the stacking. Click on the nested family and you will see the move grip lower than normal. Revit seems to pull leaders off in relation to the text top and that point shifting down some of yours. Try to make the text box wider in the nested family and reload and see what happens.

Just an idea.

Kevin

Login to Give a bone

I have had some similar problems in that Revit wants to snap the leader to the objects center, even if you dont see one. It will also offset the leader from any geometry in that family even if it is turned off (I tried making a square and diamond keynote in the same family and just turning the lines off and on so now the leader attaches to the diamond line edge even if they aren't turned on...)
    When I made my first anno family like this I didnt draw in the center of the family (someone deleted the planes from the template...) and got all sorts of wacky leaders. After a little while I realized my error, found a new template and everything worked fine.

Just some thoughts and things to avoid in the future.
    Nick