See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unreconciled new layers

Login to Give a bone

Default unreconciled new layers

Hi

We keep getting the messages with the unreconciled new layers. What are unreconciled new layers? Everytime we try to plot the drawing, that message keeps pop up. We have to cancel out of Acad.

By the way the problem only happen with Acad MEP 2008.

MKT

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: unreconciled new layers

I don' t use MEP, but I would first audit the file for errors, then run the purge command and delete any unused layers and blocks.

Does this happen with only one file or all MEP files?

Nancy

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

From Help...
    Unreconciled layers are new layers that have been added to the drawing and have not yet been acknowledged by the user and manually marked as reconciled.

Reconciling new layers is the process of manually reviewing new layers so that you can avoid potential errors before plotting your drawing or when restoring a layer state.

Unreconciled layers are new layers that have been added to the drawing or to attached xrefs since the layer list was last evaluated. The layer list is checked for new layers when a command, such as PLOT is used. In new drawings, the layer baseline is created when the drawing is saved or plotted for the first time. When a new drawing is first saved, the layer baseline is created, and all layers present in the saved drawing are considered reconciled (not new). Layers that are added after a drawing is first saved are considered new unreconciled layers.

NoteThe layer baseline is created when the LAYEREVAL system variable is set to 1 or 2.
    When a command that is set in the Layer Settings dialog box or LAYEREVAL system variable is used, the layer list is checked at that time and compared to the baseline. If there are new layers, notification will display and the Unreconciled New Layers filter is automatically created and activated in the Layer Properties Manager.

Unreconciled layers become reconciled by right-clicking the layer and clicking the Reconcile Layer option. Once a layer has become reconciled, it is removed from the Unreconciled New Layers filter. After all new layers are reconciled, the Unreconciled New Layers filter is removed.
    NoteYou can reconcile multiple unreconciled layers at the same time.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Also you can turn this rather annoying thing off by setting the LAYEREVAL to 0. This needs to be done for every drawing as it's saved in the drawing.

The unreconciled notification could help in certain instances, but AutoDesk made it the default, which I think is wrong. As you develop a drawing you constantly add layers to it. Once it's complete (or near complete) you want to set the layer settings as fixed - i.e. change LAYEREVAL to 1 or 2. Then if you or anyone else makes changes to the drawing or one of its xrefs, you want to know if the layer settings are correct before you publish, transmit or plot.

Login to Give a bone

To always suppress the unreconciled new layers notification, place the following 2 lines in your acaddoc.lsp:

(setvar "LAYERNOTIFY" 0)
    (setvar "LAYEREVAL" 0)

Background info: In my company people got annoyed by this feature. Therefore I placed the 2 lines in the acaddoc.lsp that all users point to on a shared network drive.

I liked the notifications. Surprise layers poping up in my finished drawings have caused me problems for years. So in my custom menu "MNL" file I made it active so that it would show me when new xref layers would pop-up. In this way everyone got what they wanted.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

LAYERNOTIFY!! That's the missing part of the equation. I figured out the LAYEREVAL part, but still got all the notifications. Thanks!

I still don't get how reconciling it is going to fix display issues with that layer, and why you wouldn't be able to see them in the print preview. But there's a lot of stuff I don't get about AutoCAD. I just keep stumbling around and trip over the answers sometimes.

I'm going to try having it just notify at plot, and not every single time I sneeze.

Here are the parameters for setting LAYERNOTIFY to something other than zero, if you want to try tweaking it for the least annoying yet still useful values:

LAYERNOTIFY (Quick Reference)
    Bitcode
    Initial value: 15

Specifies when an alert displays for new layers that have not yet been reconciled.

0 = Off
    1 = Plot
    2 = Open
    4 = Load/Reload/Attach for xrefs
    8 = Restore layer state
    16 = Save
    32 = Insert

And here are the LAYEREVAL parameters:

LAYEREVAL (Quick Reference)
    Type: Integer
    Saved in: Drawing
    Initial value: 1
    Controls when the Unreconciled New Layer filter list in the Layer Properties Manager is evaluated for new layers.
    The setting is stored in an integer using one of the following values:
    0 = Off
    1 = Detects when new xref layers have been added in the drawing
    2 = Detects when new layers have been added in the drawing and xrefs

Jules
    Last edited by julesagain; 2009-06-23 at 05:17 PM. Reason: bunch of HTML characters imported from my Acad help cut and paste

Login to Give a bone

thanks for the suggestions.
    nice to try such an easy fix - and have it actually work the first time!

Login to Give a bone

Are people still turning this off or have some of you gotten used to it?

If you reconcile the layers once then they only need to be reconciled when new layers are added to your xref files (LAYEREVAL=1). This gives you the opportunity to set the layer properties (on, off, color, etc.) for those new layers.

I'd say half my office is using it and the other half still gets new layers showing up on plots that they did not want.

Login to Give a bone

always use it -- I really want to know if some one has added layers into the xref files that go into my plotted sheets. it may be a PITA, but it's a valuable PITA

All AUGI, all the time J. Grouchy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pmedina View Post
    To always suppress the unreconciled new layers notification, place the following 2 lines in your acaddoc.lsp:

(setvar "LAYERNOTIFY" 0)
    (setvar "LAYEREVAL" 0)

Background info: In my company people got annoyed by this feature. Therefore I placed the 2 lines in the acaddoc.lsp that all users point to on a shared network drive.

I liked the notifications. Surprise layers poping up in my finished drawings have caused me problems for years. So in my custom menu "MNL" file I made it active so that it would show me when new xref layers would pop-up. In this way everyone got what they wanted.
    Very late to the party here, but this is something I'd very much like to turn off. Is the acad2009doc.lsp the correct file to place this text in?

Also, where would I drop this text in the file? Do I drop it in anywhere or does it fit in a particular section?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast