Thread: Jumping Revit UI

Login to Give a bone

Question Jumping Revit UI

Ok guys, I want to know if anyone else has seen this before, and if so, has determined what the cause is. I've submitted a support request, but thought I'd log it here as well. If I get the solution from Autodesk, I'll post it here too, for others.

My Revit UI is jumping when the ribbon refreshes. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ujSR0o69w for a demonstration...

My graphics hardware acceleration is OFF, and I'm on Vista Ultimate 32-bit, FYI.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Jumping Revit UI

A user in our firm was having the same issue. The options bar when something was selected was multiplying - that is instead of populating on one line - multiple lines would appear just as in your video. Even worse yet, was when the user selected a ceiling that was sketched the element would actually move due to the sreen jumping (very nasty). The issue may be related to undocking the project browser. In our case the user had placed it on a second monitor. I found the tread below and followed the ideas listed. Checked that the dual screens were aligned and then undocked and redocked the project browser. Immediately closed the software, reopened, undocked the project browser and placed back on the second monitor. Problem hasn't returned and hopefully it won't as this would be a tedious and annoying process to have to repeat often.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forum...81873&#6181873

FYI - our workstation is a dell VISTA 64-bit.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Jumping Revit UI

Thanks for the info. I did have Autodesk respond (and quickly, to their support team's credit - and on a Sunday!), and they said it was a known issue prior to WU1. Unfortunately I've only had this since installing WU1. I've upgraded my Nvidia driver (GeForce 8600M GT graphics card), and I thought this fixed the issue, but I'd already unwittingly removed my dual screen, and falsely thought the issue was solved.
    Testing it now, it is fine and dandy on my primary screen, but no good on the secondary screen. Undocking and redocking the project browser makes no difference, but I can see that docking the options bar at the bottom is a 'quick and nasty' workaround. At least it stops elements moving (also helped by unchecking 'Press and Drag')...
    I've also installed the latest driver for my external monitor, and while this hasn't fixed the issue, I did discover that when my monitors are set up side-by-side, I don't have the issue. Unfortunately I usually have them one (external) above the other (laptop, primary), both at 1920x1200. So side-by-side would be another ugly workaround, but it's not a solution.

I'll report back with more updates after my next correspondence with Autodesk.
    Last edited by cjneedham; 2009-07-20 at 01:23 PM. Reason: update to last post

Login to Give a bone

We also had the same issue with one of our desktops and one laptop. Even though there are many of the same desktop config on the floor only one had the issue. It has a ATI FireGL V3600. The press and drag being unchecked has helped both machines. I'll try to figure out what the graphics card is for the laptop.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We have seen the issue here as well, but only on one system, and that system is configured with Dual Monitors.

I dont QUITE recall, but i think that user had Revit unmaximized and pulled across both monitors.

No one else here is having the issue...

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Jumping Revit UI

I've had further correspondence with Autodesk support, and at the moment the likeliest cause is the graphics card being an unsupported model. They're keen to check whether this problem exists for other cards that are supported. The list they've provided me with can be found at http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...os=512&os=2048, but it appears to be specific to AutoCAD, rather than Revit (I don't know how relevant this is).

I've been able to duplicate the behaviour on the same system even in Revit Architecture 2009, FWIW.

For a close match, is anyone kitted out with the NVidia GeForce 8600GT, with the driver version 7.15.0011.7824? For that matter, can anyone with a 'supported' graphics card (from the link provided above) replicate this behaviour, with Revit 2010 WU1 installed? It's a bit of an obscure thing, I know. Despite the helpfulness of Autodesk support so far, and my acknowledgement that they can't test EVERY graphics card, I would have thought this card I'm using (NVidia GeForce 8600M GT ... M for mobile) was a popular one, being in a 17" mac book pro.

Login to Give a bone

We have this issue, on 2010, WU1. Different card (nvidia Quadro FX Pro 1500)- but we are using the "Certified" driver.
    Autodesks advice on ths is more than a little annoying - the certified driver has a release date in 2007 - and we initially installed the latest nvidia driver, because that was what one adesk support person told us. Then they said "no, not the latest from nvidia, the latest to be certified by us" which meant uninstalling a newer driver to install the one they like.

One of our resellers support staff managed to resolve it on her setup - the second monitor had a vertical offset - moving it so both were in line helped her. But it does not work for me.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Jumping Revit UI

i know im bring back a dead post, but i seemed to fix it on my computer.

the options bar just randomly started jumping one day, no patch or driver change.

so i moved the options bar to the bottom, which fixed it for one day, then it stared doing it on both the top or the bottom, depending on where i had it docked.

my setup: i have 2 monitors, with the project browser on the other monitor.

my fix: i docked and undocked the browser within revit and then closed revit and opened it back up, and it fixed it... no clue as to why, but it did.