See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Multiple versions

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Multiple versions

people here are running many versions of ACAD. The versions running here are ACAD 2004, 2007, LT2004 and LT2007. Is this mix of software wise? Would it be better to just have 2007 across the board? Are there obstacles that could potentially slow production? The habit here is to save files in the default format. I have thought of setting the default on all of installtions to 2004, since 2007 is backward compatible. But there is a user here who says that there are elements she uses in drawings that would not appear in the files if saved in the 2004 format. What kind of 2007 elements would be absent in 2004?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multiple versions

The elements will appear, they'll just be broken down to different elements, like a multi-leader with two leaders would be broken down to two leaders and an mtext item.

We save down when sending files to other consultants who need a 2004 file format, we've never had one complaint about the 2007/2008 specific items.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Pei Jr View Post
    The elements will appear, they'll just be broken down to different elements, like a multi-leader with two leaders would be broken down to two leaders and an mtext item.

We save down when sending files to other consultants who need a 2004 file format, we've never had one complaint about the 2007/2008 specific items.
    Actually, the multi-leaders will come in as proxy graphics. They are not editable by the lower version. I have this problem with 2007 opening a drawing saved down to 2004 format.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

There are many flavors of ACAD here. One employee, who is using one of the newer versions of ACAD, refuses to save in an earlier version, saying that there are things she uses that will not appear otherwise. After what you indicated, I understand what she was saying. But is that by itself enough to refrain from saving to an earlier format?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by wesley.chin View Post
    There are many flavors of ACAD here. One employee, who is using one of the newer versions of ACAD, refuses to save in an earlier version, saying that there are things she uses that will not appear otherwise. After what you indicated, I understand what she was saying. But is that by itself enough to refrain from saving to an earlier format?
    Depends.. we use AutoCAD Mechanical07 here, and when opened in LT07, weld callouts do not appear. There are no object enablers available to fix this. We ended up getting a full version of the software for our "document person", so she could open our drawings, and work in them.

I guess it depends on what you do/what you need.