Thread: Description Key Creation

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Description Key Creation

Is it possible to take a database of Description Keys we've already created & import into Civil 3D? Or do I need to recreate the Description Keys manually in Civil 3D? Or can I still use the database of Description Keys for when I import points? Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Description Key Creation

Some people have migrated their desc keys from Land Desktop. I didn't, and took advantage of the switch to C3D to revise our desc keys so they work better with C3D. C3D has more capabilities than LDT, so we revamped our desc keys to take advantage of that fact.

It also gave me a chance to finish cleaning up the mess that started when Autodesk changed the way INSUNITS works in 2006, and make sure all our symbols were in the correct units. And gave me a chance to clean all those stupid ADCADD_ZZ blocks out of our symbols. And fix the blocks, replacing thick polylines with solid hatches, since C3D Point Markers do not scale polyline widths. And fix the blocks that contain wipeouts, because C3D Point Markers do not honor the draw order stored in the block definition. And so on.

Login to Give a bone

You can migrate the description keys. You will still need to create a point style for every description key. The point style determines what symbol is displayed.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sinc View Post
    Some people have migrated their desc keys from Land Desktop. I didn't, and took advantage of the switch to C3D to revise our desc keys so they work better with C3D. C3D has more capabilities than LDT, so we revamped our desc keys to take advantage of that fact.

It also gave me a chance to finish cleaning up the mess that started when Autodesk changed the way INSUNITS works in 2006, and make sure all our symbols were in the correct units. And gave me a chance to clean all those stupid ADCADD_ZZ blocks out of our symbols. And fix the blocks, replacing thick polylines with solid hatches, since C3D Point Markers do not scale polyline widths. And fix the blocks that contain wipeouts, because C3D Point Markers do not honor the draw order stored in the block definition. And so on.
    You mentioned the INSUNITS and symbols. I got my DescKeys over using the import from LDD command and it worked fine. We're just starting to migrate our libraries to C3D 2008 and I'm having quite a time with the symbol scaling. They were always correct before, but now they're coming in weird. Is this why? What's the fix?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pbailey View Post
    You mentioned the INSUNITS and symbols. I got my DescKeys over using the import from LDD command and it worked fine. We're just starting to migrate our libraries to C3D 2008 and I'm having quite a time with the symbol scaling. They were always correct before, but now they're coming in weird. Is this why? What's the fix?
    it is the drag and drop units, i had to set ours to unitless for stuff to work. this also affected xrefs what a pain that was!