Thread: Stair design

Login to Give a bone

Default Stair design

I still don't understand the relationship between the design tool and the finished result. When you align the nosing (plan) your floor is too long and the other way around.

Any tips???
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Stair design

Welcome to the wonderful world of Revit stairs!

Personally, I gave up asking the stair tool to accurately represent the finished product. All my stairs are now plaint treads only, with no overlap/nosing. Detailed stair drawings are drawn as details or by another drafter in Autocad.

Login to Give a bone

I draw my stairs a little more like they would be built and use the line tool to make the drawing look like I want. This also defines the slab edges. This sample is a concrete and steel stair, but should give you an idea of what I mean. By the way, at this point we are in CD's. I did not fuss so much for SD or DD as the stairs were moving too much. Another added bonus- the stairs worked when we started CD's (headroom and all)!

Login to Give a bone

You may want to try to have a tread at the top. Allow the tread to punch through the floor, then remove the lines by making them invisible. In this fashion you can have a nosing at the upper floor; like you need for code anyway; and your riser will be the edge of the floorslab.

Admittedly, stairs in revit are lame and need tremendous work. Particurlary the rails, no goosenecks, volutes and curved 3d railings. No ceilings on the bottom of the stairs or attaching walls to the underside of them. Now, If I can 2d draft this and have it built, why can't the CAD guys figure out how to model this?

Revit is so powerful, yet so limited. Roof Soffit and eave conditions are also in need.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time DoTheBIM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I've spent too much time fighting with the stair tool as well. I have the geometry almost matching how we build our stairs, but almost don't count. So I agree with get close then tweak it with line work (seems to be a reoccuring theme for Revit). In Revit's defense though you can't satisfy everyone. But my problem seems unrelated to personal preferences and more of a programming issue (can't divide by 0) We put that top piece of nosing on, but you can't align the last line to where it needs to be. If the space between the last to lines equals the nosing length plus the riser thickness, Revit says "I give up", but doesn't tell you why. add a quarter inch (or some other small amount) to that space and Revit builds with ease. I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to live with that quarter inch and just work it over with linework.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Revit is awesome indeed and i like your Stair designs guys we also do stairs and railings