Thread: Roof problem : trss roof does not intersect exterior wall correctly

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Roof problem : trss roof does not intersect exterior wall correctly

I modeled the main roof of my building using the roof tool, set to truss type instead of rafter. But while I was looking at the roof in more detail today I noticed that Revit places the roof incorrectly in relation to the exterior wall. Typically the spring point for a truss roof is the top of wall and outside face of structure (either the stud or sheathing depending on how it gets built.). But revit use the top of wall and outer most layer of the wall assembly as the spring point for the truss roof. So in my case it is using the exterior finish (clapboards) as the spring point for the roof. While this may not seem like much it is actually throwing of my roof pitch.

Playing around with the roof I chaged to roof from a truss type to a rafter type. Again revit used the wrong spring point for the rafters birdmouth. Instead of using the inside face of structure (wood studs), it used the inner most face of interior finish (gyp. bd.)

Is there anywat to force revit to use the structural layers of the wall as the roof spring point, and the outer most layers?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Roof problem : trss roof does not intersect exterior wall correctly

Before creating a roof there is an option next to your overhang distance, I do not have Revit in front of me now, but I think is called attached roof to the core structure or something like that, you need to check this option if you want your bearing point be in the structure of the wall and no in the finishes..

In your case looks like you did not check this option. Just select your current roof, edit the sketch, select all the skecth lines and check this box (again next to the overhang distance).

Good luck.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by carlos9t View Post
    Before creating a roof there is an option next to your overhang distance, I do not have Revit in front of me now, but I think is called attached roof to the core structure or something like that, you need to check this option if you want your bearing point be in the structure of the wall and no in the finishes..

In your case looks like you did not check this option. Just select your current roof, edit the sketch, select all the skecth lines and check this box (again next to the overhang distance).

Good luck.
    Thanks! that worked

Login to Give a bone

sometimes i have just grabbed the roof and moved it up or down....so, i could get it exactly where i want it