Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invisible Lines...

Login to Give a bone

Post Invisible Lines...

I am trying to find out if Revit has built-in invisible line types or if they can be created or if you have to assign a non-plotting pen color (as in ADT). I am sure at one time I saw invisible line type but just can't find it again. Any help will be appreciated.

"Rock-n-Roll Architect" SCShell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Invisible Lines...

Hey there,
    The only invisible line that I am aware of is the one you get from the pull down list when hitting the "Line Work" tool.
    Hope this is what you were looking for.
    Steve

Login to Give a bone

By the way,
    those lines also appears when editing/sketching some objects (Filled Regions, for example).

You also need only check in Type Selector witch line you want.

Login to Give a bone

I appreciate the input. I have now discovered that I don't have the generic invisible line available to me. I believe that I had it at one time it just isn't available and when I go to create a new lintstyle it isn't an option. I don't want to create a white line that exports as a black line and thus create confusion to clients on down the line.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mdcoop_ak View Post
    I appreciate the input. I have now discovered that I don't have the generic invisible line available to me. I believe that I had it at one time it just isn't available and when I go to create a new lintstyle it isn't an option. I don't want to create a white line that exports as a black line and thus create confusion to clients on down the line.

If you click, for example, in Linework, go to th Type Selector and Invisible Line MUST apear, becaus is one of system line (we can't delete or create another - those who have <> can't be deleted)

In some kind of objects, it can not appear...

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Invisible Lines...

I forgot you and I have never met. So let me tell you a little about myself...I have the uncanny ability to destroy things that shouldn't be destroyed...like for instance if a system line shouldn't be deleted...I some how can have it removed....Here inlies my predictament. The linestyle <invisible> Isn't anywhere to be found...I suppose I could do a re-install. It just vexes me that the linestyle invisible is no where to be found! Now is that considered irony?

Login to Give a bone

If I understand your original question correctly, no, there is not a way to have a "non-plotting" linetype. Revit strives very hard to make sure your plot comes out exactly as it looks on the screen.
    The way the Linework tool (the fountain pen icon above the Type Selector) works is that Revit lets you specify that the line you select is display in this View using the Linetype specified by the Linework tool. For instance, if you want something to show up dashed, you click on the Linework tool, then select "Dashed" from the Type Selector, and then click on the line you want to change. Same thing for Invisible. If you have a line that you just want to get rid of, use the "Invisible" linetype. The line is still there, it will just not show up in this view.

Later on you ask about exporting (to AutoCAD, I assume). Again, Revit will give you what you see on the screen. If a line has been LineWorked to Invisible, you will not see it in your DWG. Let me rephrase that. It will not BE IN your DWG. It won't even be exported.

Login to Give a bone

Ok...now I am getting somewhere. The linework Icon has the invisible line type that I am looking for. Here is what I am looking for. I needed to have a "ghost line" to help in dimensioning and didn't want to create a thin line that would show up on the plot. I was mentioning the export thing, as I had read that someone was using white lines as invisible lines and they would show up upon export. I would like to create invisible lines, I couldn't start a line command and select a hidden line BUT with the linework button I can now change certain lines. It however doesn't work on detail lines...I hope I haven't caused too much confusion...I do appreciate all the input as I am new to Revit.

Login to Give a bone

Since you admitted that you are new to Revit, please forgive me for asking:
    Why do want this "ghost" line?
    You're not trying to cheat and add dimensions to things that aren't really there, are you? That's a very "AutoCAD" kind of thing to do.
    As I mentioned before, not only does Revit strive hard to give you what you see, it also tries even harder to make sure that you can trust what you see. Revit really doesn't want you to just slap dimensions around the plan. It kind of insists that you only put real information on your drawings, as opposed to misleading - "wrong" dimensions.

Login to Give a bone

Alright since your calling me out. It is for a detail. (Which was an imported dwg block) That is for a gable end vent that has a 2" division between the baffles and the upper shaft. This division is what I am trying to dimension...I suppose that if I were to draw another 2" line I could just dim to this line and call it good. As I am writing this and looking at the detail I can see that there are some "discrepencies" with it. I do like Revit thus far, although the Fascia feature is another topic...alas the detail needs "updating" and Revit is quite a powerful program which I have merely scratched the surface of and will continue to investigate it's little nuances until I am way more proficient then I am today. Alas, thank you for the help, I am sure I'll be back asking more questions as I try to transition myself out of CAD mode into the world of Revit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast