See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Showing Ceiling Demo

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Showing Ceiling Demo

The only kicker to that model pattern file is that the dashes will always be the same scaled length (in the case of the file I made, that is 2" long), no matter what view scale you're drawing. So in a larger scale view, the dashes and spaces will look longer than in smaller-scale drawings.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Its a very clean workaround, unless you take issue with having to manually manage where each type of ceiling is. Im assuming youre making an additional ceiling type and calling it demo, so that it can use the Material that has the other model or drafting pattern on it.

That works fine graphically, but i dont like having to chase around the ceilings to switch them to the demo variant, when the action that should dictate them being shown as dashed is having demo'd the modeled object.

Just a pet peeve, i guess, but i try my hardest to avoid those types of things. If i had to do it for walls and doors, id freak out as well. Ceilings are just another extension of architecture, and the same tools need to be present for it.

Login to Give a bone

I thought about that later, but since I'm used to just changing the linetype of a hatch pattern in CAD (can't do that in Revit, you have to create a custom pattern AND didn't feel like it lol!), I kinda dismissed the option. I'm with Aaron on this, although this would work anyway. It's less "pure" BIM. This is really the same to when at times, you're forced to create "demo" doors (I can't remember specifics of when I made this suggestion, but I know I read something that led to that horrible suggestion!).

If I show demo as dashed, the model pattern should show dashed, but the way Revit treats fills (no line type assigned) makes this impossible at the moment.

I could stop if I wanted to cek's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks Pat!

You put me on the right track to address the demolished ceiling problem.

For those of you who have yet to enter the inner workings of Revit text files; like myself, as of today. I have included some additional instructional information to help you acheive what Pat has so generously given us.

The text file that needs to be edited to receive Pats code is found at:
    C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2008\Data\revit

In explorer go to the file but don’t' open it. You need to change it's properties to turn off the 'read only' protection by right clicking on the 'revit' file, go to properties, and uncheck ' read only'

Then open the file and paste Pat's code into it. I revised the initial name to get it to order it self next to the ceiling patterns and added the 24 x 48 Tiles text to match the other entries. Not sure if it was necessary but I wanted to cover all the bases just to be sure. So the text reads as follows:

*Ceiling-Demo 24x48, 24 x 48 Tiles
    ;%TYPE=MODEL
    0, 0, 0, 0, 24, 2, -2
    90, 0, 0, 0, 24, 2, -2

Save out this file once you are done.

Now open Revit. You will need to create a new material "Ceiling Demo 24 x 48" and then edit its surface pattern.

Select 'Model' then 'new' then 'custom' then 'import' then import the file at this path
    C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2008\Data\revit

You will then have a number of patterns to select from, one of which will contain the new demolished ceiling pattern.

Good luck.
    Last edited by cek; 2008-12-01 at 02:46 PM.

Login to Give a bone

heh wow I didn't do all that... I just went to create the new model pattern and simply pointed to the Ceiling Demo pattern file, which is stored on our server alongside several other custom hatch pattern files.

Login to Give a bone

Just shut up and take the credit

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

The work around of switching material of different pattern becomes messy in a multi phased project. I am working on hospital renovation projects where we have to joggle moving functions around to accommodate departments renovation in different phases. Areas to be demoed in latter phases will have to be switch back to "normal" in earlier phases demo plans. I am leaning towards just use the phase override with different color for demo since nowadays drawings are viewed more in color PDF than b&w paper.

Saw this thread started back in Feb. wonder if any new thoughts emerged?

Login to Give a bone

We do a lot of renovation projects and are working on a large project right now and could use this method - so I tested it out.
    The challenge I am having with this method is that the existing RCP shows the demo'd ceiling plan as dashed - because I
    have the new & improved demo surface model pattern.

This may not be an issue if you don't show your existing Reflected Ceiling Plans as part of your document package.
    If the designer wants to include the existing RCP's, how do I show the demo'd ceilings as solid lines?
    RCP-EXISTING.JPGRCP-DEMO.JPG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12