Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large File Size?

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Large File Size?

I have exhausted my knowledge on this one and need your help. I have several drawings that are huge in file size. I have done everything to clean them up. So I started wblocking out the blocks that were in the drawing to take a look at each individual block to see if one of them was the problem. that is when I noticed something strange.

Every block I wblocked out of this drawing are about 7 meg even if it's just a line. I can copy and past to a new drawing and it will be OK. But that only works with the blocks that I wblocked out of the main. Doing the copy & paste does not affect the main drawing file size.

Attached is one of the blocks I wblocked out. If you copy and past it to a new drawing it is fine. But if you draw a line and wblock it out it will be around 7 meg. I need to find out what the overhead of this file is so I can remove it from the main file.

I have purged, Audit, Wblocked, Purged Unregistered Apps, Deleted all Layer States.
    you name it I have tried but I know I'm missing something.

Thank you so much for your time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Large File Size?

Quote Originally Posted by cgsodd View Post
    I have exhausted my knowledge on this one and need your help. I have several drawings that are huge in file size. I have done everything to clean them up. So I started wblocking out the blocks that were in the drawing to take a look at each individual block to see if one of them was the problem. that is when I noticed something strange.

Every block I wblocked out of this drawing are about 7 meg even if it's just a line. I can copy and past to a new drawing and it will be OK. But that only works with the blocks that I wblocked out of the main. Doing the copy & paste does not affect the main drawing file size.

Attached is one of the blocks I wblocked out. If you copy and past it to a new drawing it is fine. But if you draw a line and wblock it out it will be around 7 meg. I need to find out what the overhead of this file is so I can remove it from the main file.

I have purged, Audit, Wblocked, Purged Unregistered Apps, Deleted all Layer States.
    you name it I have tried but I know I'm missing something.

Thank you so much for your time.
    you've got a bunch of unreferenced xrefs attached to this drawing. I detached them all, and then wblocked the drawing, and it seems to be fine. I drew an additional line, and it did not expand the drawing size.

Login to Give a bone

I drew a line and wblocked it out, and it was 54KB. I did this before I detached all the Xref's, so I don't think that's the problem. The original file is HUGE though. 9.45M.

Login to Give a bone

Brenda,
    Thanks for finding that I did not even think about xref's since the drawing should not contain any. What they must have done is erased the Xref's instead of detaching them.
    Again thanks,

Login to Give a bone

I Wblocked it to 54 Kb, drew a line and resaved - still 54Kb.

Login to Give a bone

I went back to the main file and the xref's were not there. I also looked at tsome of the other blocks I created and they did not have the xref's. I do believe they erased the xref instead of using the xref manager to detach them. Here is another file with the same problem and I do not see xref's.

Also I am not able to block something out without it being 7 meg It might have to do with Proxy entities that I have the enabler?

Thanks for looking into this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

I went back to the main file and the xref's were not there. I also looked at tsome of the other blocks I created and they did not have the xref's. I do believe they erased the xref instead of using the xref manager to detach them. Here is another file with the same problem and I do not see xref's.

Also I am not able to block something out without it being 7 meg It might have to do with Proxy entities that I have the enabler?

Thanks for looking into this.
    I cut and pasted it, and it's fine now. I noticed on the original drawing that there is no display reps (that might be an ACA only thing, not sure), and the anno scales have both architectural and engineering units. That seems odd to me.
    What did you cut and paste it to? I think you need to cut and paste it into an OOTB template. It worked for me.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Large File Size?

Ok, I found out why it is doing what it's doing. The main drawing has 360000 non graphical references to proxy entities. Since I have the object enabler on my machine it is caring on to the blocks I generate. Also since I have the enabler on my machine I did not see the proxy box to warn me. I went to another machine without the OE loaded and it works fine.

Now it would be nice for a program that would remove the dicitionary entries for Prosteel out of my drawings.

Thanks to all helped me with this unusual problem.

Login to Give a bone

Glad you fixed it.
    .....the dictionary entries for Prosteel out of my drawings.
    Would that be eXtended Data ?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Ok, I found out why it is doing what it's doing. The main drawing has 360000 non graphical references to proxy entities. Since I have the object enabler on my machine it is caring on to the blocks I generate. Also since I have the enabler on my machine I did not see the proxy box to warn me. I went to another machine without the OE loaded and it works fine.

Now it would be nice for a program that would remove the dicitionary entries for Prosteel out of my drawings.

Thanks to all helped me with this unusual problem.

Ahhh, yes. ProSteel. The bane of my existance.

Create a blank text file at the root of your c:\ drive and name is "ps_checkdwg" (no extension, no contents). This should cause the enabler to purge out the excess data when the drawing is opened. Additionally, have your local LISP expert look at using (dictremove (namedobjdict) "Ks_...") to remove the data dictionaries. WARNING: REMOVE XREFS BEFORE DOING THIS. NO GUARANTEE IS GIVEN AS TO RESULTS. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Note the data will migrate between drawings when it is XREF'd or inserted, and the ProSteel object enabler (like many others) will load into *all* open drawings when invoked. Make sure you clean all drawings - blocks, reference files, everything. If you have ProSteel installed on the computer make sure the purge references at startup is checked in the options. Its a nice program for doing detailed steel work - but does not play well with others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast