Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layer Color/linetype standards throughout dwgs

Login to Give a bone

Question Layer Color/linetype standards throughout dwgs

We are trying to keep our standards up from project to project (as is everyone else). Our company has been using a general project file with all the sheets/dwgs set up the same for each project. Each time we have a new project, we copy the folder and input the new information. I have a couple questions in this regard:

1) is there an easier way to do this? How can I implement it in the smoothest way so that no one in the company gets nervous?

2) Lately we have been having issues with the construction drawing sheets changing their layer colors seemingly on their own. What might be causing this? How can we alleviate this situation?

We are a commercial architecture firm running AutoCAD 2006. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layer Color/linetype standards throughout dwgs

Many third-party and vertical applications set their "standard" layers, colors, etc. in a drawing simply by opening it. Watch which applications are used for what, and make sure the users are using the right software for the right task.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for replying, however I may have to clarify the situation.

What is happening is when we are going through to plot a sheet set we start to notice that things that appear in multiple drawings will have the wrong lineweight. So, we will go to the ref dwg and check the color, it will be fine there. We will go to the cd sheet and the layer in the sheet will have the wrong color, therefore giving it the wrong lineweight. If we change the color/lineweight in the ref plan, it doesn't seem to change in the subsequent sheets. I hope that clarifies the situation a little better.

As for the standards, what I am looking to do is possibly clean out our "masterform" and create a template that isn't easily alterable.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sday.137422 View Post
    Thanks for replying, however I may have to clarify the situation.

What is happening is when we are going through to plot a sheet set we start to notice that things that appear in multiple drawings will have the wrong lineweight. So, we will go to the ref dwg and check the color, it will be fine there. We will go to the cd sheet and the layer in the sheet will have the wrong color, therefore giving it the wrong lineweight. If we change the color/lineweight in the ref plan, it doesn't seem to change in the subsequent sheets. I hope that clarifies the situation a little better.

As for the standards, what I am looking to do is possibly clean out our "masterform" and create a template that isn't easily alterable.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    The system variable that is giving you problems is VISRETAIN. This variable can be assigned 0 or 1. It sounds like your current setting is set to 1, which I recommend. This will allow you to control layers on a per (sheet) drawing basis.

If you want to control colors | on/off | freeze\thaw from the reference drawing, then change your visretain to 0. Unfortunately, if you have layers in some of your (sheet) drawings that need to be frozen while others need those layers thawed, then VISRETAIN set to 0 will make this difficult.

To restore the layer colors/linetypes/visibile status from a reference drawing, you could try these steps
    • Make a new Layer State
    • Then change your VISRETAIN variable to 0
    • Reload the reference drawing
    • Return the VISRETAIN variable to 1
    • Restore the desired settings of your Layer State

HTH
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

I don't think we want to do that; as we'll need to freeze/unfreeze layers throughout the design process.

Why would CAD change the layer colors in drawings seemingly on it's own?

Login to Give a bone

It's highly unlikely that the per sheet color changes are happening spontaneously. the most likely cause is that some one's doing it. It's remotely possible that some LISP code being run is modifying the colors of the xref layers. To rule that out you'ld need to look at all the code being used and see if there are any calls that modify layer colors.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, it probably is the case that someone is unknowingly changing the colors. Is it possible that a layer could pick up the attribute of an object when it is put onto that layer? Or that a layer could pick up the color of an object that is inserted onto that layer? We do use a lot of outside things (blocks, dwgs,etc.)... could that be the issue?

Login to Give a bone

I don't think we want to do that; as we'll need to freeze/unfreeze layers throughout the design process.

Why would CAD change the layer colors in drawings seemingly on it's own?
    What Opie is saying is you need to have VISRETAIN set to 1 (on) (in your drawings containing the xref), for the layer states to be "locked in" on your xrefs. It doesn't matter how you get there, he was trying to help you recapture how you initially wanted it. If you make changes in your xref layers (on/off, freeze/thaw, colors, linetypes, etc) with visretain on, it will save those settings.

Bottom Line:
    With VISRETAIN set to 0 (off), every time you open your drawing, the xref will appear as the xreffed file was saved last.

With VISRETAIN set to 1 (on), your drawing will save any layer changes you make to the xref file in that drawing.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, it probably is the case that someone is unknowingly changing the colors. Is it possible that a layer could pick up the attribute of an object when it is put onto that layer? Or that a layer could pick up the color of an object that is inserted onto that layer? We do use a lot of outside things (blocks, dwgs,etc.)... could that be the issue?
    I still feel it's the visretain issue.
    Here's a test, go into one of your drawings that keeps changing, type "visretain" on the command line, if it's 0 change it to 1 and "save". Now make some changes to your xref layers: freeze, thaw, change colors etc. and "save". Next reload the xref file, the layer states shouldn't change.

Note: this won't effect the source (xref) file, just how it appears on your drawing.

**Update: We're assuming you are using XREFS, please verify****

Login to Give a bone

Yes I am using xrefs. I'm checking out the visretain issue now....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast