Thread: Crane Rail Beam Family

Login to Give a bone

Default Crane Rail Beam Family

I'm trying to model a crane rail. The rail itself consists of 3 components: W24, C12, and a 60# rail. (see attached pdf file). The W24 and the C12, of course, are a piece-a-cake. But the shape for the 60# rail is going to have to be created. Someone suggested that I create the appropriate profile and then use the railing command with that profile. However, it seems to me that you can create a new beam family. I could either create a beam family just for the rail, or I could created a nested family and include all three elements as shown in the attached pdf (created in AutoCAD Architecture).

QUESTION is . . . how do I create a Beam Family? I've been trying to read the Help stuff and tutorials and so on, but I haven't been able to quiet figure it out yet. I could use a good tutorial or something.

By the way . . . . I'm a Revit Structure ROOKIE.
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Crane Rail Beam Family

Now the book I'm getting this from says Sep 30, 1969 so let me know.

It shows three types pf rails, Rail Section No. 17551, 13551, and 10551. Three different profiles and no variations.

With this in mind I would create three separate profiles files (you can bring in your autocad block and pick off of it if you have one). An easy way is to open the beam family and replace the wide flange profile with the rail profile.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Maleski View Post
    . . .easy way is to open the beam family and replace the wide flange profile with the rail profile.
    Yea, I understand how to create to profile(s) for the rail(s), I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to create the parametric family using reference lines and dimensions and all that. Like, how do I create the family so that when I insert it into the project, it acts like a normal beam? I think your idea of opening the beam family and replacing the wide flange with the rail profile might work pretty good. I'll try it out.

Thanks!

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Create the 3 profiles
    Create a new Beam using the Metric Structural Framing - Beams and Braces template.
    Load all 3 profiles in there.
    Create 3 sweep using those profiles.
    There you go

You can reverse engineer a beam family but you should be able to do that pretty easily

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I made one recently...something like what you have. I'm sending you the family and try to play around with it. It's really hard to expalin how I did it so just try to analyze the family. But the key there is do your profiles first then use it in sweep.

Hope that helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Crane Rail Beam Family

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise View Post
    Create the 3 profiles
    Create a new Beam using the Metric Structural Framing - Beams and Braces template.
    Load all 3 profiles in there.
    Create 3 sweep using those profiles.
    There you go

You can reverse engineer a beam family but you should be able to do that pretty easily
    I know this is an old thread, but I am new to this idea. I have started with the beam family and I have loaded the channel family profile. How do I make a sweep with the channel profile? if I pick Solid Form > Solid Sweep, I am asked to sketch the profile (?). I'm lost. Any help would sure be appreciated.
    Thanks, Tim