Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "An unknown error has occurred while accessing the central file"

Login to Give a bone

Default "An unknown error has occurred while accessing the central file"

Hello Team,
    I have an issue which so far has cost a day and a half and is not necessarily resolved. I won't know if ti is resolved until next time I try to save to central. After STC has run for some time, a message tells about the unknown error, reassures me the local file has been saved recently then shuts the program. Subsequent attempts to STC get the same message. The local file is stuffed and must be recreated, losing all work. Recreate local file, check STC works, continue working, STC, error message, lose all work again. It is issues like this which can destroy any goodwill or perceived advantage Revit may have over other software. Issue with Revit? Issue with operating system? I don't know, but what I DO know is I have had zero productivity since yesterday morning. This does not sit well with management, and the echoes of "we should be documenting this with Microstation or Autocad" are getting louder. Don't get me wrong, I would hate to go back (backward) to Autocad as Revit leaves it in the shade, said with ten years experience on Autocad.
    However, it is issues like this, if they cannot be resolved easily in a timely manner, are a major bugbear to the acceptance of Revit by management, who ultimately decide which software we will use.
    Anyone else had similar issues? Anyone found a fix?
    mark_a

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "An unknown error has occurred while accessing the central file"

Check out the tips from Wes Mac and James Van in THIS THREAD

Could be ... ?

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply Beegee,
    The Save to Central (again) issue was merely inconvenient, as STC was delayed, this issue prevents STC full stop. No STC no progress.
    The only thing that I can think of lately that MAY be a bit unusual, is the creation of a workset called "levels-not visible" so that levels could be placed in the project that can be used to locate various walls, platforms etc. The workset is off by default so it does not show in existing or new views. This was checked out with our local support and their advice was there should be no issues. Just trying to think of anything that might be causing this grief.

mark_a

Edit: Sorry Mark, I just remembered the tips , not that you were the original poster. - bg.
    Last edited by beegee; 2004-08-27 at 07:13 AM.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The error sounds like network connectivity otherwise Revit usually would have offered something more helpful. What kind of network are you using and has IT been doing upgrades? Any chance SP2 has been installed?

Is this the first workset project? Is this a common occurence or just this once? How many folks are working on the project at the same time. Are you each diligently using your own local file and saving to central routinely. Are you borrowing elements or checking out entire worksets.

There are so many possibilities. You need to start retracing your steps and look for clues.

If you are unable to STC and your local file is the most recent version you could create a new central from you local so you don't lose work.

What version are you using? We've had very stable behavior with 6.1 and the most recent builds.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2004-08-27 at 06:17 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Hello Steve,
    Yes, IT have installed a new server, about 2 weeks ago, had a man in today to "tweak"it some more.
    No SP2 is not installed.
    Yes, this is the first workset project, (actually, it is the first project for me on Revit),
    Error common only recently,
    Five Revit seats on this one,
    Always work on local file only, STC about 4 times daily,
    Checking out worksets, and sending requests to edit when necessary.
    Can't use local file as new Central, due to other users,
    Version 6.0.
    Yes, I guess there are some possible causes here.
    Last STC worked fine.
    I am hoping all of this will go away and I will come in on Monday and everything will be just rosy.
    Cheers, and thanks for the reply.

Mark

Login to Give a bone

To test if it is a network issue, move your central file to your local drive, then when you stc repoint it to the file now on your local machine. I have experienced countless STC issues with previous versions of Revit. With the newer versions they have been rare. I feel your pain I have lost many man hours do to worksets issues in the past. It is by far the most frustrating and helpless feeling when you can't save the work you have done.

If its not the network issue, you can try uploading all the files to support and they will find the error.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

This is getting tedious. Revit crashes, saves local file, then cannot save to central.
    At present I can expect to lose work, rebuild local file and have many hours of unproductive stuffing around about every second or third day.
    Anyway, Revit is being bad mouthed yet again in this office. If it can cope with the size and complexity of the project we are documenting, good, however it is stuffing up often enough for me to lose faith in its ability to do the job, let alone do it efficiently.
    Anyway, enough whinging, I have lost enough time already

mark_a
    Last edited by mark_a; 2004-09-15 at 04:36 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Mark if you are still using 6.0 you should upgrade to the latest build of 6.1. This should go a long way to improving stability. Version 6.0 had more workset related issues that we encountered, all of which have been either completely eliminated or much improved.

Some things you can try to do diligently to see if it helps:

Always start with a new local file each day, discard the previous days including the backup folder. Don't use the same name and overwrite the previous local. If you have to create a new central, use a different name so a new backup folder is created too. Don't overwrite the existing one with the "new" central file.

Borrow elements instead of checking out entire worksets and save frequently both locally and back to central.

Make sure everyone "really" isn't working in the central file directly. Have folks name their local file with their initials and todays date so you can wander by their desk, see what the file name they are working on is unobtrusively.

Don't open linked Revit projects in separate Revit sessions at the same time and copy/paste data from one to the other. This does an end around the error message that you are opening a linked file and tells you close the existing session first and will cause problems.

Hopefully an upgrade to 6.1's latest build will go a long way to smoothing things out.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2004-09-15 at 05:29 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Steve,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Local support recommends we DO NOT upgrade our project to 6.1.
    How can I create a new local file for each of six Revit seats without taking up most of the morning?

Borrowing elements instead of checking out worksets? Can this be done from the workset dialog box? Or am I missing something here?

I already save locally and to central often, but obviously not often enough. There lies the rub, if I am saving, I am not working, if the saves have to be very frequent due to fear of losing work then not much gets done, BUT what has been done MIGHT be saved.

Everyone works on a local file, the IT {edited} is the only one who is ALLOWED to create new local files. The file has the users initials, but not the date as yet we don't create new local files daily.

Linked Revit projects? This is the only Revit project in this office.

The borrowing of elements seems to be the only thing I am doing differently. By this do you mean when you attempt to edit something and it is not editable the "make elements editable" box appears. If no one else has possession of that element it can be made editable. If this is what you mean then I use this all the time if I don't have that workset checked out. Often though another user has possession and a request must be granted to edit the element.

Thanks again for your reply Steve.

mark_a
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2004-09-15 at 01:50 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mark_a
    Local support recommends we DO NOT upgrade our project to 6.1.
    Why on earth are they making that recommendation? I don't know enough about your operation and hope they do...but with the newer version having fixed workset bugs and process significantly I don't understand this recommendation.

How can I create a new local file for each of six Revit seats without taking up most of the morning?
    Each user creates their own by opening the central file in the morning and doing a saveas. Save it to your local PC harddrive. I save mine in MyDocuments in a Revit folder with one folder for each project I'm involved in. After a couple days I delete all the earlier local files and backup folders. I append my initials and month/day numbers so it is easy to differentiate. The process takes a couple minutes...long enough for me to grab a coffee sometimes.

Borrowing elements instead of checking out worksets? Can this be done from the workset dialog box? Or am I missing something here?
    This is the act of making the objects editable through selecting objects and either making a change to them and letting Revit make them editable or using the Right Click>Make Elements Editable option. This "borrows" objects rather than checking out an entire User created workset. This allows you to work in an area more closely and reduces the instances of having to get permission from another user.

I already save locally and to central often, but obviously not often enough. There lies the rub, if I am saving, I am not working, if the saves have to be very frequent due to fear of losing work then not much gets done, BUT what has been done MIGHT be saved.
    Our project files range from 20mb to nearly 100mb at present. A STC takes less than a minute typically and I STC and relinquish stuff several times an hour, as soon as I finish a collection of tasks. If several users are working for 4 hours without doing a STC you are begging for conflicts and it will take a lot longer to finish. Make sense?

Everyone works on a local file, the IT mgr is the only one who is ALLOWED to create new local files. The file has the users initials, but not the date as yet we don't create new local files daily.
    !!BELLS RINGING NOW!!....share more facts about how he creates local copies and this process. This has me very suspicious...

Linked Revit projects? This is the only Revit project in this office.
    I was thinking If you have a site model with topography and a building project linked together. Apparently you don't have a campus plan of buildings and site that could be linked to each other and open the door to this issue.

Hey BeeGee, Mark's a "neighbor"...can you put on your "good neighbor" hat and visit?
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2004-09-15 at 01:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast