Thread: Pick internal points

Login to Give a bone

Default Pick internal points

This may seem very petty to others, but I wish that filled regions could be done by picking internal points similar to architectural desktop. If this is right in front of me, and I am missing it, I apologize.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Pick internal points

You can speed up creation of boundaries and other sketched elements by using the 'pick' option rather than dawing individual segments. When you enter sketch mode check the options bar and select the arrow instead of the pencil. From there you can 'tab select' to define multiple boundray lines at once too. You'll also see you have the option to lock the sketch lines to the boundary elements.

May I ask what you are defining using the filled region?

Login to Give a bone

sorry for taking to long to reply. The "pick" option works good sometimes, but somtimes it picks a chain of lines that I didn't intend to have selected in which case I have to spend time editing the lines. We use the generic walls alot. In which we case, in section, we then use the diagonal hatch. Also, different in place fiamlies that are not used that often.

Login to Give a bone

I didn't realize you were talking abut hatching walls. You can define a hatch pattern for your walls in section just by assigning diferent materials. Even if the wall is 'generic' it still needs to have a material associated with it. If you care creating a lot of in-place families that are the same from project to project maybe consider creating component families instead.
    I don't want to sound critical but it sounds like you are still in a bit of a 'drafting' mindset. Try to get Revit to do the drafting end of things for you if you can and hatching walls is surely a drafting task.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I hope you weren't suggesting Dimitri was acting "holier than thou"...I seriously doubt he is, please don't take it as such.

You can also assign a Coarse Scale fill pattern to each wall style, check its properties. Each wall can display this when your view is assigned to Coarse detail level. To show the actual layers of a more complex wall just change to Detail Level - medium later. A quick "switch" from schematic to design development so to speak.

Login to Give a bone

Not trying to be holier than thou and I'm sorry if it came across that way. We all started somewhere and getting into this without the benefit of training is really tough. All I'm suggesting is that Revit is not a drafting program and that a lot of AutoCAD veterans tend to try to use it that way and get frustrated because there are so many things that don't work the way they're used to.
    Keep coming back and keep asking questions. Most of us don't bite and are just trying to help

Login to Give a bone

If Revit isn't for drafting, then why does it even offer a "Drafting View"... and if it's going to offer Drafting Views, then by golly why don't they offer actual drafting tools to make them with!? There is nothing rocket science about creating a fill pattern by picking an internal point, but Revit seems content to stay in the dark ages with productivity tools.

Login to Give a bone

Perhaps I should have stated that I don't consider Revit a 'traditional' line by line drafting program. The Revit developers decided early on that it is probably more efficient to define what something looks like when cut in section (hatch pattern associated with material or object category) than it is to have to hatch it each time it's used. I happen to agree with that premise.
    Personally, I find that 'drafting' tools provided by Revit to be fine when a model element or detail component family won't do the job for me.