Thread: Xref layers do not print correctly when hiding lines

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Xref layers do not print correctly when hiding lines

I am having an issue with plotting a drawing that includes an xref. I will do my best to explain the problem so that hopefully someone can help me. I have also included an attachment as reference.

I am working in AutoCAD 2010; I have a drawing that includes another drawing as an xref. The xref is on layer “0” in model space and my titleblock, annotation and viewports are in paper space (layout tab). I am using color dependent plot styles (.STB). The xref is a 3D model created with basic AutoCAD solids representing steel shapes, there are also some line segments representing the steel centerlines. The viewport is a plan view of the 3D steel model, the view is not clipped. Since the xref contains 3D objects when I print the drawing I don't want the “hidden” lines to show up, I accomplish this by setting the viewport shade plot setting to “HIDDEN”.

Here is the problem:

When I print the drawing the xref’s layers do not print correctly but rather take on the properties of layer “0” which has a plot style of “NORMAL” so everything prints in color and with a default lineweight. I want the xref to print using the xref’s layer properties that are defined in the .STB file. One variable that changes the outcome of the printed drawing is the viewport shade plot setting.

If the viewport shade plot is set to HIDDEN the xref prints using layer “0” properties (undesired) and the3D object lines are hidden (desired). See attached Viewport #1

If the viewport shade plot is set to AS DISPLAYED the xref prints using the xref’s layer properties (desired) but the 3D object lines are not hidden (undesired). See attached Viewport #2

The ONLY difference between the two viewports is the shade plot setting, there are no layer overrides and only the xref objects are affected, the objects in paper space print as expected. This only happens with an xref or block. If I bind the xref into the drawing and explode it so the objects are “live” in the drawing everything works fine. Unfortunately I need it to work correctly with an xref.

If I use a color dependent plot style (.CTB) where the .CTB file controls the color and lineweight I am able to achieve the desired results, unfortuneatly my company is determined to use .STB files…

Any ideas?

Keith Houghton
    Samuel Engineering, Inc.
    Sr. Structural Deisgner
    Attached Files Attached Files

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Xref layers do not print correctly when hiding lines

Unfortunately AFAIK only the 2d wireframe adheres to the STB (and actually in my experience the CTB as well). So the only option I've come across is to generate a 2D view from the model (i.e. something like SolProf). You might attempt a "Live Sectionpane" as well - just place the "pane" above the model so it dioesn't actually cut it.