Thread: Legend scale vs model, paper space

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Legend scale vs model, paper space

Is there a way to control linetypes and scales.

Example:
    One base file with pertinent line types.
    Two drawing sheets with two different scales.
    One legend showing all the linetypes from the base file.

Problem:
    A legend is created from the base file linetypes and xrefed into the two drawings in paperspace. Because the two sheets are at different scales the linetypes do not correctly match the legend. Is there an easy way to control this or do it without creating more vports or manually adjusting the linetypes in the xfile?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Legend scale vs model, paper space

Quote Originally Posted by wtrujillo View Post
    Is there a way to control linetypes and scales.

Example:
    One base file with pertinent line types.
    Two drawing sheets with two different scales.
    One legend showing all the linetypes from the base file.

Problem:
    A legend is created from the base file linetypes and xrefed into the two drawings in paperspace. Because the two sheets are at different scales the linetypes do not correctly match the legend. Is there an easy way to control this or do it without creating more vports or manually adjusting the linetypes in the xfile?
    Yes,
    Set psltscale to 1 (on) and your ltscale to 1 (1:1 ps) (or .5 if you like the look of half scale; linetypes)

No matter what your viewport scales are the linetypes will appear the same

Login to Give a bone

Setting your linetype scale variables as Ted suggested should work.

However, If you need to keep your LTSCALE set to something other than one xref the legend in model space.

If you have to have it in paper space then you have to do a lot of extra work. The linetype scale of each line in the legend has to be changed. For example if your viewport scale is 50 the linetype scale of the legend linework will be 0.02. Now you will need separate legends for each viewport scale.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

As company we have standard linetypes and our LTSCALE is always set to 1/2 the scale of the drawing so our linetype ALWAYS look the same no matter what. We utilize the PSLTSCALE set to 0 to make it look right in the viewports and (here's what I was getting at) we have our legends set up as individual lines, dots, text, etc. so that no matter what the LTSCALE is, the legend will ALWAYS look the same. We tried it for a while where the linework in the legend took on the actual linetype that it described but we kept running into the same problem where most of them either came out too big, too small or showed up as continuous. since the "change" we've never had a problem.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Coolmo View Post
    As company we have standard linetypes and our LTSCALE is always set to 1/2 the scale of the drawing so our linetype ALWAYS look the same no matter what. We utilize the PSLTSCALE set to 0 to make it look right in the viewports and (here's what I was getting at) we have our legends set up as individual lines, dots, text, etc. so that no matter what the LTSCALE is, the legend will ALWAYS look the same. We tried it for a while where the linework in the legend took on the actual linetype that it described but we kept running into the same problem where most of them either came out too big, too small or showed up as continuous. since the "change" we've never had a problem.
    I understand what your saying, you have a drawing plot scale of 1/8" = 1'-0" and you set your ltscale to 48 (=1/2 the scale) to get the look you want. This is fine if you only have one scale on your drawing, but what do you do if you have a couple viewports with different scales? As far as I know, the only way make them appear the same is to set the psltscale 1 (on) and set your ltscale to 1 (or .5 in your case) and AutoCAD scales them accordingly so they match.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I thought you were talking about a legend that had things in it like property lines or utility lines with text (-------gas-------) stuff like that. We block in all of our legends into paperspace onto a border set to 1 scale so the legend is always the correct size and the linetypes all look perfect (because of my description from my last post). As far as having 2 sets of viewports at different scales.... we hardly ever do that so my advice here today really doesn't solve your problem.

Login to Give a bone

I have a question for you guys that like your LTSCALE set to 0.5.

Which linetypes are you using? For instance do you use dashed and hidden or dashed2 and hidden2?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen View Post
    I have a question for you guys that like your LTSCALE set to 0.5.

Which linetypes are you using? For instance do you use dashed and hidden or dashed2 and hidden2?
    We use Hidden2, Center2, Phantom2 (etc) with an ltscale of .5 which makes them even "tighter", that's just the way our office likes it.

Sometimes if it's on a bold line weight, the Dashed2, Hidden2 can get kind of muddy, which we would change to Dashed or Hidden.