Thread: Network Deployment

Login to Give a bone

Question Network Deployment

I have created a Revit Structures 2008 deployment on our network. This creates dozens of foreign language CAB files (ChinaTradExt.cab, UK.cab, etc.) these files are huge, 200MG to 300MG. Can these be deleted AdminImage folder without corrupting the deployment? Is there a way to create a deployment that would not have these files?

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Network Deployment

If the content has been set to local it will copy the content to each machine. Typically i would place those libraries right on the server. Then the ini will point there.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Network Deployment

Daniel,
    These CAB files are not anything we would ever use, thaey came as part of the basic install when I setup the network deployment. If I would have had a chance to not include them in the deployment I certainly would have left them out. My question is can I just go into the AdminImage folder and delete the ContentCHS, ContentCHT, ContentDEU, etc., etc. folders?

The main Content folder is not in the AdminImage folder.

Thanks, Tim

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Network Deployment

I think if you open up the configuration file that was created along with your standard installation image you should be able to pick and choose what content is installed with each deployment and where. It should be in the same location as the network image and will be called MODIFY "your deployment name".EXE. If you run that you can modify your installation. After a few windows that make you accept licensing terms, etc you will get to a review configuration prompt, toward the top of the window there is a button to modify your configuration, select that. One the second or third step of your configuration settings you will be instructed to select which content is to be installed. Under the families you will see that this is where all of the international content is located. If you expand all of the other trees I think there is additional metric content. The default is to have just the English structural library as well as some metric content for training files, etc. Select what you want and click the next button through the rest of the steps. I think you will also need the serial number during this process as well.

I am pretty sure that if you delete the international libraries and extension off of your server you will not cause any problems with Revit. And even if you do that and do not modify your configuration settings all that will happen is you will get alot of warnings during a client install that files are missing.

Hope that helps. FYI, in case you are using other flavors of Autodesk in your office, all of the network install tools and configuration setting, etc are very similar. I just installed RS, ACA, ACAD and ACAD Civil on our system the other week and the only differences I could see was the program specific things, I.e. AutoCAD doesn't have families and Revit doesn't have .ctb file, etc...