Thread: Disassociate window from wall

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Disassociate window from wall

I'm making window and door families for log walls, where the window is attached to a nailer that is attached to a log buck. Andre helped me get a void in the window family that would cut the opening in the log wall when inserted in the project. I want the nailer to be a standard frame wall thickness (6 1/2") and my log wall has a 9" core with log sweeps for a 16" diameter log.

I can't figure out how to disassociate the window family from the wall so I can change the wall to 9" and maintain the window in a 6 1/2" nailer dimension. The way I did the first one was to change my wall to 9" and then unlock everything and then reattach all of the parts and pieces back to reference planes at the 6 1/2" dimension. This becomes very time consuming to get every thing in the right position and locked so everything flexes properly.

There's got to be an easier way?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Disassociate window from wall

Use nested families. Rather than build windows - build window sashes as non-hosted window objects. Then nest the sash in a window family and place it in an opening. It is then very easy to move it back and borth with a single parameter. You can also easily use the sashes to build window groupings.

If you don't want to uses nested families. Then use a ref. plane that you can move in and out. Then just make sure all geometry referes to the ref. plane and not the wall.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Disassociate window from wall

Thanks Aaron,

I was hoping I could use the windows from the families I already have and control them by reference planes instead of a wall.