Thread: Loads, Schedules and other frustrations

Login to Give a bone

Default Loads, Schedules and other frustrations

I'm new to Revit, I work for a structural engineering firm, and am running into dead ends within forums seeking information, tips and examples.

Here are the issues.

1. Is Revit an all-in-one tool for creating a model and exporting drawings and schedules or do I have to revert back to AutoCad for some areas (not ideal)?

2. Consider that the Architects, Structural engineers and contractors are all using Revit. Where would I input and store design loads for each column and beam so that the information on each member is easily accessible? And how do I set up my schedule to show this information?

I understand that these are very broad questions, however I have yet to find a comprehensive resource to answer them.

Thanks

Scott

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Loads, Schedules and other frustrations

Another newbie here.

Revit Structure works with a thrid party finite element modeling program to solve structural systems. There are about half a dozen companies which will analyze the data from the Revit Model. They are listed on the Autodesk website.

Im test driving Robobat ( now a part of the Autodesk family) as the analysis program. Once a model is exported from Revit to say Robobat, the load cases, combinations and such can be fine tuned. Revit loading options include point, line and area.

Triangular,trapezoid loads, moments, torsion cannot be created in Revit at the moment as far as I know. If you need to apply loads of this nature on your model, the third party software can edit the load cases in Revit and add the load. When its analyzed and returned to REvit, that load should also be there. All the loads you apply to the Revit model are stored in the analytical model from which schedules can be made. You can filter the schedule by type to include summaries. Work with your colleagues to develop schedules for the contractor, architect or structural engineer. these can then be imported into your next project.

We use AutoCAD to import plan views, using them as a background for tracing grid lines primarily.

Im also slogging my way thru the e-learning tutorial series available to subscription customers. Check it out if you havent already. I would also recommend you consider video training from CADCLIPS.com. They have some freebie tutorials on youtube and their own website you can check out.

If you are in or near a a larger city centre, your Reseller may offer classroom training. The courses Ive seen offered range from 1-3 days. Let your employer know you want more training using this program.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Loads, Schedules and other frustrations

1 Revit is an all-in-tool