Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best mouse for CAD

Login to Give a bone

Default Best mouse for CAD

I'm looking for a new mouse. i've been using a Logitech MX Laser cordless for a while now. I'm fed up with the cursor jumping around. I have one at home and one at my office and both of them suck. Only reason I have not replaced them is because of the programmable buttons. So, I'm looking for the best mouse for autocad architecture with at least 7 programmable buttons. Corded or Cordless, doesn't matter, as long as it tracks smooth enough. On screen accuracy in autocad is important! I'm so far considering the Logitech MX518 or Razor Pro V1.6. Any others you guys can think of? Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best mouse for CAD

a lot of people use a regular 3 button mouse with a Nostromo N52 programmable key pad. I have one, but never could get used to it. Honestly, I never really gave it a chance. I may have to dust it off and try it again. Anyway, it may be worth a look.

Wow, they don't make the N52 anymore, but here's the link to the new and improved N53te. I may have to upgrade!!!!

http://www.n52te.com/

Login to Give a bone

I use a logitech 5 button mouse. i love it. I have the normal left,right clicks, pan with the scroll wheel, and the other two buttons are programmed to toggle on/off osnaps and ortho.

I also use a Space Navigator for panning/zooming in 3D. I won it playing Box Shots at an AUGI CAD Camp last year. It's wicked cool!!!

(and one time, at CAD camp . . . .)

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/189&cl=us,en

Cordless Trackman Optical.

8 programmable buttons, scroll wheel and normal trackball. That allows me to keep my hand stationary and gives a wide array of programmable buttons. Currently I have "esc", "delete", right click default menu, osnap off, mouse wheel zoom doubles as pan (and orbit with shift), etc....

Totally awesome mouse. I use it with fairly high acceleration for the movement and never had it behave anything but smooth. I clean the ball, rotating points and optical area every week or so. I have one at work and one at home and both have worked flawlessly for more than a year of heavy use.

Andrew

Login to Give a bone

I really like a cordless mouse, but am willing to give it up if that is the reason the cursor jumps when i am trying to move the mouse slightly or more accurately. The N52te looks interesting, I've been doing cad since tablet's (showing my age) and do like all the programmable buttons. I'm sure it would take some getting used to (like anything new). I've never used a track ball, a little nervous about jumping to something that different. Keep the ideas coming, you are all very helpful. Thanks!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

The trackman is cordless and I have never had any irregular movement from it except when it was very far away from the receiver. Also, learning the motion of the ball itself is quite easy. It is awkward for the first hour or so, but becomes very natural very quickly. It is actually less effort after that as you can move continuously across a very large screen without the lift and move and lift and move normal mouse movement. I actually have over 3' of screen horizontally and in one motion can move from one corner to the opposite corner. Also, being able to rest your arm instead of keeping it lifted slightly (I move the ball with just my middle finger) is more ergonomic and results in less strain on the arm, shoulder and neck muscles. By all means go with what you like best, but coming from a mouse and then using a trackball, there is no going back. Certainly worth serious consideration IMO.

Andrew

Login to Give a bone

I agree with Andrew. I also use a trackball, but mine is a 3 button and the ball is controlled with my thumb. It sure beats lifitng your arm every 2 seconds to move the mouse.

Login to Give a bone

I went with a vertial 4 button with a scroll wheel from Evoluent. Took me about 3 days to get used to. I love it now. Puts your wrist in true natrual position. You won't find it at the store, only sold on thier web site. Also has settings for 4 differnt DPI's. Also gives you a "rest Break" warning if you so choose.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Best mouse for CAD

Logitech G5 or G7

they have customizable weights for comfort.

2000DPI lazer image processor (18bit? i think)

have a nice sturdy feel.

G5 is wired. G7 is wireless.

G5 is not produced anymore so if you find it, grab it!

MX518 is a close third in my mind

Login to Give a bone

I have the Logitek Mediaplay. I really like it. All the buttons are programmable, so I have one set for "enter" & one for "double-click". I've been using this mouse for a few years, & it seems to be tough enough to handle being dropped. I usually replace the batteries a couple of times a year, but probably could go longer if I turned it off at night. I do that when I start getting critically low battery signals from it, & get almost a week's use from the low batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Media.../dp/B0002SAF3C
    Last edited by Jane Smith; 2008-04-04 at 06:15 PM.
    Give people a job worth doing, the tools to do it, recognition of a job well done & get out of the way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast