Thread: Model Space vs. Viewport in Paperspace

Login to Give a bone

Default Model Space vs. Viewport in Paperspace

I've got 7 blown up areas in an autocad drawing that I've got to fit onto one 30x42 sheet with a scale of 1/4" = 1'-0"

What I am hoping to do is rotate some of the drawings that are blown up so they fit better on paperspace. Is there any way to rotate a drawing inside a viewport without rotating the drawing in model space? I've got 3 Xrefs inside this drawing and all 3 are quite large.

Thanks in advance.

Also, glad to be a member of this board. Hope to gain as much knowledge from it as I can. Feel free to tell me I should have searched for this topic in the first place, haha.

JD

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Model Space vs. Viewport in Paperspace

Make active the viewport that you want to rotate and then set the UCS to the view (UCS > V). Type in UCS then type Z and then type in the desired rotation angle - this will rotate the UCS about the Z axis (keep in mind that you will need to rotate the UCS in the opposite direction that you wish to rotate the view). Type in Plan and accept the default of "current" then press enter and your view will rotate to align to the UCS. Then reset the view scale and you should be all set.

This just changes the viewpoint of the viewport it does not rotate the geometry at all.

I could stop if I wanted to mom of 3's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

dview twist works also

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bcgatti View Post
    Make active the viewport that you want to rotate and then set the UCS to the view (UCS > V). Type in UCS then type Z and then type in the desired rotation angle - this will rotate the UCS about the Z axis (keep in mind that you will need to rotate the UCS in the opposite direction that you wish to rotate the view). Type in Plan and accept the default of "current" then press enter and your view will rotate to align to the UCS. Then reset the view scale and you should be all set.

This just changes the viewpoint of the viewport it does not rotate the geometry at all.

I made the viewport active and did everything you asked, however, it didn't help to change the view of the viewport at all. Perhaps, I'm missing something...I went into model space inside the viewport and also tried just clicking the viewport's perimeter. To no avail, however.

Regardless, I think I've got all of the blown up mechanical rooms to show up correctly on paperspace so that they all are scaled to 1/4"=1'-0" so I'll let that fly for now.

I would have figured there was a way to make slight changes to the arrangment of modelspace through a viewport...

Thanks for the help, sir.

JD

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsitton View Post
    I made the viewport active and did everything you asked, however, it didn't help to change the view of the viewport at all. Perhaps, I'm missing something...I went into model space inside the viewport and also tried just clicking the viewport's perimeter. To no avail, however.

Regardless, I think I've got all of the blown up mechanical rooms to show up correctly on paperspace so that they all are scaled to 1/4"=1'-0" so I'll let that fly for now.

I would have figured there was a way to make slight changes to the arrangment of modelspace through a viewport...

Thanks for the help, sir.

JD
    If you use the UCs meathod make sure UCSFOLLOW is set to 1. IMO Dview Twist works better and is less confusing.

Login to Give a bone

I'm an old time user and the long method that I outlined is what I have used for years. At this point it probably isn't the most efficient method, but it does still work.

I looks like the DView - TWist command is a pretty easy way to get the same result as my multistep description above and you can watch your view rotate.

I never found much use for the DView command - let alone trying to use it to accomplish this (because I'd done it the same way for years) but it looks like this post has shown me something new that I can use.

Thanks "mom of 3" and "jmctamney".
    Last edited by Brett Gatti; 2008-03-25 at 05:25 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsitton View Post
    Is your Viewport Locked? You cannot change the scale or the orientation of a Locked Viewport.

All AUGI, all the time gfreddog's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Have you tried the MVSETUP Command?

I don't have a ton of experience with it but the Help screens may give you what you need.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help.

Login to Give a bone

As stated, after UCS / Z you need to use the PLAN command and hit Enter twice.

Login to Give a bone

From Paper Space View:

MVSETUP
    (A)lign
    (R)otate View