Thread: Newbie question on detail components

Login to Give a bone

Default Newbie question on detail components

New to Revit - just getting the toes wet before taking the plunge!

We do a lot of remodel/addition work dealing with existing demolition and new elements. I have a relatively good (for me at this time) handle on this in plan views using the wall, door, window etc. elements.

But I'm struggling getting a concept on how to deal with the detail components uder the Drafting tab of the Design Bar.

What is the best way of differentiating between existing demolition and new using the detail components? I know for existing there is a way to grey out the components. Or is that the best (most efficient) way to indicate existing components. How do you handle showing demolition elements?

Thanks for any help

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Newbie question on detail components

Hello,

I'm not completely sure how detail components relates to your question. It sounds like you need a way to distinguish elements that are Existing to Remain, Existing to be Demolished, and New Construction.

The short answer is to look at Settings / Phases...

In the Revit help menu, search for "Project Phasing." This should get you started. Write back if you have more questions.

Bryan

All AUGI, all the time davidcobi's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Phase Overrides govern how model objects display but to my knowledge doesn't control how detail components display.

We typically don't add detail components to any part of the model that is existing to remain or existing to demo, but this is probably how I would do it. You could create custom detail components with three versions in one family... new construction, existing to remain, existing to demo. Then setup Yes/No parameters to turn each version on/off.

You could also select all existing detail components to remain and override graphics by element to make them halftone for existing to remain but that leaves no solution for existing to demo versions of a detail component.

Login to Give a bone

As mentioned, we always use phases to show existing elements (gray colored), demolished (dashed), and new construction elements. Detail components are not used in any plan or exterior elevation views.

When it comes to details (wall and building sections), I will usually just draft a single gray filled region over the entire cut area of existing model components. So I might have a single gray shape representing the assumed footing, wall thickness, and roof thickness and slope.