See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Deleting Names in the Family Types...

Login to Give a bone

Default Deleting Names in the Family Types...

Is it possible to delete all the names in the Family Types box, so that when you load it into a project it only displays what the file is saved as? Or is it that once you have a name there isn't a way of going back to no name at all?

Thanks!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Deleting Names in the Family Types...

Quote Originally Posted by MNsnowtaTy View Post
    Is it possible to delete all the names in the Family Types box, so that when you load it into a project it only displays what the file is saved as? Or is it that once you have a name there isn't a way of going back to no name at all?

Thanks!
    Let me see if I understand what you want:

Imagine you have a family called Desk. Inside the family Desk, you have on "Family Types" the names like 60" x 30" and 72" x 30". Loading it into the project, will show like Desk: 60" x 30"...

If you want get rid of the names on the Family Types dialog box, just click on Delete until you only have one name remaining. You can then rename it to have the same name of the family. Loading it into the project, will show, for instance, Desk: Desk.

Is this what you want?

Andre Carvalho

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Carvalho View Post
    ...If you want get rid of the names on the Family Types dialog box, just click on Delete until you only have one name remaining. You can then rename it to have the same name of the family. Loading it into the project, will show, for instance, Desk: Desk...
    This is not my tip but I found it extremely useful, so here it goes:

Quote Originally Posted by DoTheBIM View Post
    ... to get rid of that last family type... the only way I found to do this was...
    1. Place the family in a project
    2. go to the family tree in the project browser and delete all the types, but not the family itself.
    3. right click on the family in the tree and edit (make sure it is not already open as Revit will just switch you to that window).
    4. go to your family types command and there should be no type names
    5. save and your done.

Login to Give a bone

Well I was basically looking to get rid of all of them so there was no names at all in the family types box. Also so It wasn't a repeat of the family's name.

That last post worked, but lets say that you have a bunch in the drawings is there a way to do it without deleting them all?

Thanks for the help though!

All AUGI, all the time DoTheBIM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jetisart View Post
    This is not my tip but I found it extremely useful, so here it goes:
    perfect... you saved me a few minutes of searching to repost that tip. Glad to here you found it useful.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MNsnowtaTy View Post
    That last post worked, but lets say that you have a bunch in the drawings is there a way to do it without deleting them all?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "drawings" (Is this projects or families?). There is no "tool" to remove all types from a family... or all types from a family in a project... or all types from all families in a project. Can you explain what you mean by "do it without deleting them all"?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by DoTheBIM View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "drawings" (Is this projects or families?). There is no "tool" to remove all types from a family... or all types from a family in a project... or all types from all families in a project. Can you explain what you mean by "do it without deleting them all"?
    For drawings I meant pretty much Floor Plans. In a project I deleted all the Family Types but not the Family itself. I was then able to edit that Family and all those types were gone and it was just the Family name when I reloaded that Family back into the project.

Say for example you have 28 Outlets placed in a project. There is a family type called Family 3 in there, Outlet 1, and Outlet 2. However, I want to delete all those because they are all the same, and I would just like the Family's name. I can only delete two of them within the Family to be left with Outlet 1. But If I do those steps from the previous post, from the project I can delete them all, but then my 28 Outlets are deleted as well.

I realize now I can just name that last Family Type the same as the Family Name and only the Family Name will show up in the Project then. I just didn't want to have super long Family Names when I went to put content into a project.

Login to Give a bone

Ah I see. Yes in that case you would want to make sure all outlets are set to one type then delete/purge the unused types, and just rename the last remaining type to the same as the family name, as that's what you get anyway when a family with no types is loaded into a project.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

And if you want to select all outlets that are from one type and move them to another type, find the family name and type on the project browser, right click on it and select "Select All Instances". Once selected, you just select the new outlet type from the list. After they become the new type, you can then right click again on the family type you are not using anymore and "Delete" it. When just one family type is remaining, you can rename it to the same name as the family.

Andre Carvalho