Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove Point Data but leave Block Symbols Intact

Login to Give a bone

Default Remove Point Data but leave Block Symbols Intact

Hi All,
    I have block symbols inserted using desc-keys for items such as manholes, fire hydrants, light poles etc as well as point data with no symbols, just point markers and labels for defining the surface. I want to remove all the point data from the drawing but leave all the block symbols in place. Is this possible (similar to LDD). The reason I want to do this is because this drawing is used as an X-Ref background for all the other depts. and therefore there is no need to retain the point data once the final drawing is complete. Is this the right way to go or should I leave the point data intact and just use point groups to display the objects. By the way, I'm the only one who uses Civil 3D, which means no one else has any control over displaying the points other than turning on/off the correct layers, provided I've set everything up correctly.

Cheers.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Remove Point Data but leave Block Symbols Intact

There is no way to separate the symbols from the points using Civil 3D. I was hoping by now someone would have a 3rd-party app that would insert blocks on Civil 3D points but I am not aware of any.

This is a problem in our office too. Besides the fact that you have all the extra overhead (file size) of the points you can't move the symbols without moving the points. You may ask "Why would you do that?". Well it's actually quite simple. We do it often on ALTA surveys. If a telephone pedestal symbol overlaps a pole symbol for instance the attorney reviewing the ALTA for the client will ask us to move them so they are clearly visible.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Jeff,

Unfortunately another issue that I just realized is that when someone else opens this drawing or inserts it as an xref, all the block info is :
    a) not displayed if proxy graphics is turned off
    b) a square box inserted at all the points if proxy graphic is turned on.

It looks like I may have to manually insert all my block symbols which seems to defeat the whole purpose of having the software insert them automatically.

Or am I missing something here ?

I never had this issue with LDD so maybe there is a setting that I must make, or maybe a different approach.

Another thing is that all the points are on the same layer, even though I set up different layers with the point styles, point labels and desc-keys, so turning of the labels or non-symbol points turns off all the points.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by fgolaub View Post
    Or am I missing something here ?

I never had this issue with LDD so maybe there is a setting that I must make, or maybe a different approach..
    No your not missing anything. There are no settings to make point symbols like they were in LDT. Remember this is not LDT; most things work differently. Some are obviously better and some are arguably more difficult. IMO point symbols are more difficult to work with.

Install the C3D object enabler on the computers in your office that don't have Civil 3D. Then the points will display properly.

Login to Give a bone

If all you are using the dwg for to is xref in the vanilla cad users project why don't you just exxport the dwg to autocad format.?

Login to Give a bone

I agree Jeff,
    I also find point symbols more diffcult to work with at the moment, but hopefully with time and practice it should become more clearer.

I shall try the C3D object enabler.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurphy View Post
    If all you are using the dwg for to is xref in the vanilla cad users project why don't you just exxport the dwg to autocad format.?
    Murph,

I thought that C3D was being saved in Autocad, but after some exploring in the file menu I know see what you mean. By doing this, will I still lose the point data information, but still retain the block symbols ?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurphy View Post
    Great idea Murph. You could set the point label style to "none" in C3D then export to AutoCAD. That creates a new drawing with just the symbol blocks. The C3D drawing stays intact with all the point information.

Login to Give a bone

I tried exporting as an Autocad dwg, but when I opened up the file, there is no blocks shown or even point data, labels etc - everything to do with C3D seems to have completely disappeared. What am I doing wrong I wonder??

Also, the C3D object enabler would be a good idea, unfortunately it can only be used on Acad2008. All the other cad users are on 2006 - some are on 2004 - so until we are all on the same version, it doesn't seem like there is a straight cut and dry solution.

Login to Give a bone

I figured out why the blocks wouldn't show up when I saved to autocad format - I had the points layer locked...

Anyway, this seems like the best solution until we are all on 2008 which should be soon.

Thanks Murph and Jeff for your help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast