Thread: Elevators - What Category?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Elevators - What Category?

Hi All,

What category do you use for elevator components?

I know I need it to be "cuttable" so that limits our choices from the get go. We tried making them "Doors," but I don't like the idea that all of our elevators show up in the door schedule without a filter...

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Elevators - What Category?

Quote Originally Posted by saeborne View Post
    ...but I don't like the idea that all of our elevators show up in the door schedule without a filter...
    So why don't you do them as generic models?

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

Generic Models aren't "Cuttable." So in the floor plan view, the overhead jamb is visible.

Login to Give a bone

Generic Models aren't "Cuttable." So in the floor plan view, the overhead jamb is visible.
    Generic Models ARE "cuttable".

From the help file:

Cuttable Families

If a family is cuttable, the family displays as cut when the cut plane of a view intersects that family in all types of views.

In the Family Element Visibility Settings dialog, there is an option called When cut in Plan/RCP. This option determines if family geometry is shown when the cut plane intersects that family. For example, in door families, the geometry for plan swing is set to be shown when the door is cut in plan views and not shown when the door is not cut.

This option is never made available and is never selected for non-cuttable families. For some cuttable families, the option is made available, and you can select it. For other cuttable families, the option is never made available, but it is always selected.

The following table lists cuttable families and whether the option is made available for that family.

Note: Not Applicable means the category is a system family that cannot be made from a family template.
    Family Category Option Made Available
    Casework Yes
    Ceilings Not Applicable
    Columns Yes
    Curtain Wall Panels No
    Doors Yes
    Floors Not Applicable
    Generic Models No
    Roofs Not Applicable
    Site Yes
    Structural Columns Yes
    Structural Foundations Yes
    Structural Framing Yes
    Topography No
    Walls Not Applicable
    Windows Yes

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Definitely generic models are cuttable. I have all my escalator as generic models, and they all cut fine at my cut plane height.

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    Generic Models ARE "cuttable".
    Floors Not Applicable
    Generic Models No
    Roofs Not Applicable ...
    Doesn't that mean the generic models are NOT cuttable? The help file says "No."

Andre, I don't know what we are doing differently, but when I set my elevator to generic category, I see the header jamb in plan views. When I set the category to door, the header jamb disappears.

One is cutting, one isn't. I don't know why I am getting different results.

Bryan

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Andre, I don't know what we are doing differently, but when I set my elevator to generic category, I see the header jamb in plan views. When I set the category to door, the header jamb disappears.

Bryan
    Bryan,

When you create a new family Generic Model, and draw any 3D form (extrusion, blend, etc...), if you select the object and click Visibility on the bar, you will see that the option "View Specific Display" has the option "When cut in Plan /RCP" already marked and grayed out. That means it will be cut in plan if the cut plane is cutting it.

Now if you go to Settings > Family Category and Parameters and change it from Generic Model to, let's say Mechanical equipment, you will notice that doing the same procedure as above, the same option "When cut in Plan /RCP" won't be marked but still grayed out. That means that this kind of family (mechanical equipment) won't be cut in plan even if the cut plane is crossing it.

You might want to check you elevator family to see what does it show on the Visibility dialog box. Also if the door on the elevator family is nested, check the door family.

Regards,

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

Doesn't that mean the generic models are NOT cuttable? The help file says "No."

Bryan
    The following line in the help file references what the "NO" in the table is for in the family editor.

The following table lists cuttable families and whether the option is made available for that family.

Take a look at the attached screen shots. One shows the "cuttable" option in the visibility settings of a piece of family geometry as being able to be toggeled on and off. The other screen shot show this as always on. The "NO" form the table is talking about if you can toggle this option. Generic families willnot let you toggle this control but the family is "cuttable".
    Attached Images Attached Images