See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Problem w/ Flatten command

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Problem w/ Flatten command

I've received a floorplan from a client that was created in Architectural Desktop and I need to convert everything to 2D. I'm using 2007 and attempted to Flatten all the objects. However, when I do, half of the entities in the walls and windows disappear causing me to redraw them. Am I doing something wrong with this command? Is there a way to accomplish this without the extra work? Thanks in advance.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: Problem w/ Flatten command

Quote Originally Posted by cwjean76 View Post
    I've received a floorplan from a client that was created in Architectural Desktop and I need to convert everything to 2D. I'm using 2007 and attempted to Flatten all the objects. However, when I do, half of the entities in the walls and windows disappear causing me to redraw them. Am I doing something wrong with this command? Is there a way to accomplish this without the extra work? Thanks in advance.
    Why don't you use DXB method?This is very proper 3d to 2d.When you have done Dxb method.Don't forget to use "overkill"(express menu command) command.I did many job with autocad.But i think Dxb and overkill has Architectural Desktop.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Problem w/ Flatten command

Quote Originally Posted by spacedecor View Post
    Why don't you use DXB method?This is very proper 3d to 2d.When you have done Dxb method.Don't forget to use "overkill"(express menu command) command.I did many job with autocad.But i think Dxb and overkill has Architectural Desktop.
    What is this DXB method? Just not sure I understand....

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Are you answering YES to "Remove hidden lines?"

Answer NO

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by clittle.165709 View Post
    Are you answering YES to "Remove hidden lines?"

Answer NO
    I've tried both ways and it does differ the output, but both ways still limit me on what I can do with the objects afterward w/o having to redraw.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Try superflatten. This routine has worked wonders for me.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: Problem w/ Flatten command

Quote Originally Posted by cwjean76 View Post
    What is this DXB method? Just not sure I understand....
    DXB means... DRAWING EXCHANGE BINARY.This method is autocad default plotter output.First you can add with added plotter wizard from your system plotter(must add in autocad plotstyle mananger).This plotter extension is .dxb and you can give proper name.After you plot to file with dxb plotter,you must need to open new drawing.Next you can type "dxbin" in new drawing and you can choose your plot file.Then you can use "overkill" for all object to delete overlap line,arc...etc.And then,you can set drawing unit and limit.Your dxb drawing is need to scale with refrence option.Because this drawing can change all dimension.But they are all same scale original drawing propotion.You can know any dimension from your original drawing.Enjoy it !

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by spacedecor View Post
    DXB means... DRAWING EXCHANGE BINARY.This method is autocad default plotter output.First you can add with added plotter wizard from your system plotter(must add in autocad plotstyle mananger).This plotter extension is .dxb and you can give proper name.After you plot to file with dxb plotter,you must need to open new drawing.Next you can type "dxbin" in new drawing and you can choose your plot file.Then you can use "overkill" for all object to delete overlap line,arc...etc.And then,you can set drawing unit and limit.Your dxb drawing is need to scale with refrence option.Because this drawing can change all dimension.But they are all same scale original drawing propotion.You can know any dimension from your original drawing.Enjoy it !
    Works like a charm. Thanks.

It is has it's pros and cons, though. Very quick in changing it from 3D to 2D but, it literally gets rid of any aspects the entities had before(changing an arc into a series of lines, exploding all blocks and hatches, etc.). Makes for some very large files!
    Last edited by cwjean76; 2008-04-16 at 04:29 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I reiterate my recommendation for Superflatten. There's a link in my previous post. I use it frequently to flatten 3-d drawings with no ill side effects (unlike the express tool flatten). It will even flatten blocks without creating a hundred iterations.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mockdeep View Post
    I reiterate my recommendation for Superflatten. There's a link in my previous post. I use it frequently to flatten 3-d drawings with no ill side effects (unlike the express tool flatten). It will even flatten blocks without creating a hundred iterations.
    Thanks. I tried it yesterday and I prefer using this than any other method. Cleans up nicely.