Thread: Unwanted gaps in dimensions chains

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Unwanted gaps in dimensions chains

Some users of RAC in my office are getting unwanted gaps in their dimensions. They make a continuous dimension chain which looks fine, but later on when they look at it it has gaps. gaps_in_dimension.PNG

The appearance of these seems to be PC specific - I have just seen it looking fine on one machine and full of gaps on the one beside her.

What can be the cause of this and does anyone know of a solution?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Unwanted gaps in dimensions chains

If it shows up on one machine and not another, my first guess would be Video drivers.
    First try turning of (or on) Hardware Acceleration.
    If that doesn't help, update drivers

Login to Give a bone

Thanks DaveP, I'll have them try that in the morning and see if that helps.

No-one else seen this problem? I'm pretty sure I've seen it myself before but it one of those things that's hard to search for.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

It usually happens when the object that was dimensioned to is hidden, something like a CAD underlay or family category that was turned off after the dimension string was added. Turn on hidden elements and see if the dimension string's witness line is attached to a hidden object. If so, then unhide that object/category or delete the witness line.

Login to Give a bone

We've tested what you say rosskirby and although what you say is quite correct it's not the problem we have here. In the picture you can see that the section between the walls is missing, the missing dimension segment is between the walls. What you describe would be id there was, say, a desk in the middle of the room with dimensions to it, then if that desk was hidden it would look like the picture I have. But in our view the segment goes right from one wall to the other.

I've just looked up the Graphic cards and drivers, I can see that even though we have Quatro 200 and fx 1800 cards none of them are using the certified driver. How much of a problem is that usually?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

So when you turn on the hidden elements, the missing section of the dimension string isn't there? Hmm...not sure then. Like I said, the only time I've seen this is when the dimension went to something that was either hidden or deleted. Usually when you delete an object that is part of dimension string, that witness line just disappears, and the dimension spans the rest of the gap as if that object had never been there. Sometimes, though, you can get what you have here, and as far as I know there's no way to fix it without redoing the dimension string (or just infilling the missing part). Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Login to Give a bone

I know this is a super old thread but I wanted to add a solution for those who find this in a search.

Step 1
    Check for hidden Items
    Step 2
    If the dimension line segment does not show up go to Step 3. Otherwise unhide the element. It should appear.
    Step 3
    Turn off view template (change it to none)
    Step 4
    Adjust view range so top and bottom are unlimited
    Step 5
    The segment should appear. Use witness line edit to remove the segments attached to elements on other levels

Note: This typically occurs when you copy and paste dimension strings from one floor to another. I hope that helps!