See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dimension override

Login to Give a bone

Default Dimension override

Ok... I usually read posts daily, but rarely contribute. I have to say I am very disappointed in being able to override dimensions now in 2009. What keeps me from typing in 20' - 6"., with that period that will not be seen in print? Were is the credibility of the model? Has Autodesk sold out?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimension override

The credibility is in the model, not the printed representation.

Login to Give a bone

What keeps you from making the original dim text really small and pasting some other text over it? Or making the dim text white and pasting some other text over it? Or using a blank font and pasting some other text over it? Or printing it out, taking some whiteout and pasting some other text over it? Or getting on the phone with the contractor and telling them to cross out the dimension on their set of plans and write something else in its place? Or...

What I think is incredibly stupid is forcing me to put a period in there to get around Revit's moronic limitation of not letting me type whatever I want to for a dimension string.

Quote Originally Posted by bob.parker View Post
    Ok... I usually read posts daily, but rarely contribute. I have to say I am very disappointed in being able to override dimensions now in 2009. What keeps me from typing in 20' - 6"., with that period that will not be seen in print? Were is the credibility of the model? Has Autodesk sold out?

I could stop if I wanted to PaperStreet SoapCO's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Exactly - I was overwriting dims to show stair tread and riser counts before 2009 by pasting text. This just make my life easier.

Login to Give a bone

A hybrid set of documents compromises the integrity of the documents. I think this is a big mistake.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sealander View Post
    The credibility is in the model, not the printed representation.
    Try issuing a model to the contractor. I think any numerical value types into the override field should be forced bold.

I could stop if I wanted to Adam Mac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Here we go again......

this discussion has been had (well & truly) on numerous occasions and to a great extent in the past. Thankfully Autodesk recognised that a large number of users felt that there should be the ability - for whatever reason - to override dimensions. I for one cannot thank them enough for at least giving me the choice. You don't personally have to use this feature if you don't wish, but now at least you have the choice to decide.

My 2c worth.

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Dimension override

Part of the problem is, as I see it, is related to the format for presenting imperial units. You need the character support to show the feet and inches, hence why it allows you to use a period (or 'full stop' as it's known here in Oz) and get away with it. I use metric, and what's also weird, is that if I override a dimension in the same way as Bob, Revit won't allow this - it recognises my override value as a number. Yet, if I put two periods there (e.g. '5800..'), this IS permitted. I presume this is actually consistent when you think about it, as a period indicates a decimal point, which IS part of a metric (decimal) numeric value.

I think it is not possible for Autodesk to pick up and correct or prevent EVERY thing like this, but some sort of override warning (bold text, or whatever else that'll be obvious) would be a good idea. Establishing the conditions under which this override is displayed would be the hard part.

I think on the detail of this particular observation, to my way of thinking, this might fall into the category of "We can't have it both ways" - much like the thread dealing with Area measurements and calculated totals (see link - http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=70539)

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

To me it is simply a matter of the honesty. Honesty and professionalism in your work and services to your clients.

If you are willing to cheat, no number of obstacles will stop you, If you want to be honest, nothing will make you to break the rules - no matter how easy or inviting it is.

As it was said before: the choice should be yours!!! And should you decide to go through the easy path of "cooking" the dimensions soon enough, as with most crooks and cut-throats, the public will learn and will be avoiding your practice. Not even to mention an unacceptable (in my opinion) litigation risk...

That's my view...

If somebody wants to be a fraud (with their work) let them!!! More clients for us in the future...

Login to Give a bone

This topic is such a non-issue. As Irusun has pointed out, if users want to override a dim, then there is no stopping them and there never has been.

I welcome the feature so that I can now finally and easily put some text in there instead of a numeric value.

The 'safeguards' that Autodesk have implemented won't stop the determined, but at least it acts as a warning to those who might be considering overriding a dim with another value, and make them think twice about it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast