Thread: Flat Roof - Tapered Insulation tip

Login to Give a bone

Default Flat Roof - Tapered Insulation tip

alright, i was SERIOUSLY getting frustrated last night before a new morning's inspiration hit me.

i have an "L" shaped flat roof, where the slope went to the inside corner. of course the outline of the roof wasn't a perfect 'L', and that's where i was getting frustrated when i tried to point-edit (variable insul layer) the roof plane so my sections would be accurate.

anyway, i was getting the spiderweb look and nothing was going right, so i reset the shape and left for the night.

got in this morning and saw the "opening" tool in the design bar. ~LIGHTBULB~

i simplified the perimeter shape and used the "opening-> vertical" tool on the roof after point-editing the high sided perimeter, and life is grand!

in the attached image, the blue arrows show where i've used the vertical openings to define the perimeter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Flat Roof - Tapered Insulation tip

Nice tip, could be useful in many places.

However, could you not have just made your L-shaped roof as one piece, and set the two lowest edges as slope-defining lines? That should have generated the same outcome as what you did with the opening.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Nice tip, could be useful in many places.

However, could you not have just made your L-shaped roof as one piece, and set the two lowest edges as slope-defining lines? That should have generated the same outcome as what you did with the opening.
    already tried that, it sloped my the bottom of the assembly as well.

it's a 4x2 wood truss flat roof w/ tapered insulation.

in my frustration, i separated the structural mass from the thermal & moisture mass, and did try what you suggested.

also, i don't think the large jog in the footprint would have worked like it does either.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

"Rock-n-Roll Architect" SCShell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hey there,

That is a great tip for this situation....this is also a similar approach for some site slope arounds. (Although this method does required a little drafted line work to show the edges that the voids leave.)

And, in following Patrick's line of thinking....one might be able to do two separate roofs. The lower structural framing and deck could be "flat" and then the tapered insulation (or rippers and second deck) could be your "variable" material and set the slope properties and then join geometry....or ....
    My old favorite "pre-RAC2008" method of doing the above and then cutting geometry to remove the overlapping upper roof, thus joining the two roofs.

I like your approach however! Sometimes a good night's sleep is all you need.
    Steve

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by SCShell View Post
    Hey there,

That is a great tip for this situation....this is also a similar approach for some site slope arounds. (Although this method does required a little drafted line work to show the edges that the voids leave.)

And, in following Patrick's line of thinking....one might be able to do two separate roofs. The lower structural framing and deck could be "flat" and then the tapered insulation (or rippers and second deck) could be your "variable" material and set the slope properties and then join geometry....or ....
    My old favorite "pre-RAC2008" method of doing the above and then cutting geometry to remove the overlapping upper roof, thus joining the two roofs.

I like your approach however! Sometimes a good night's sleep is all you need.
    Steve
    that is EXACTLY what i tried first, but when you set the slope, "joining geometry" does nothing to extend the bottom of the upper assmebly flat to the lower one. i think i also tried the "join roof" tool as well.... never thought of the 'cut' method, but it still sounds messy to me.

in hindsight, it (2 separate assmeblies) wouldnt' have been required, it was just a result of my tinkering. one roof assembly won't have me fixing the alignment if i forget to lock alignment between the 2.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

"Rock-n-Roll Architect" SCShell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N View Post
    never thought of the 'cut' method, but it still sounds messy to me.
    Hey there,
    Believe it or not, it really is not messy. It worked really well and was probably the easiest way to really get this to look right before the release of RAC2008.
    And, it still does work now.
    Good Luck
    Steve