Thread: Object sorting

Login to Give a bone

Default Object sorting

I have looked at the sortents functionality, but I think I am looking for something more. I have a VBA project that fills objects created by the user (ie a square is filled with a connected polyline given some user defined perimeters). The basic idea behind all of this it to provide some tools for our system users to create custom tool paths for our deposition system. Basically it's like a fancy electronics printer / plotter. Tool path generated in AutoCad (as in autocad dxf files) are ordered in the sequence of creation. I'm looking for an automatic method of reordering the objects (typically none are ever stacted on another) that makes sense for our printer (just like you would with a plotter). I wish to elimiate or minimize unnecessary moves between deposition etc.

Thanks in advance.
    Dave Gleason

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Object sorting

I think you are asking for an optimised pen-plotter type of configuration.
    See if this helps -

Start the "Add a plotter wizard".
    Pick HP plotters, pick a plotter from the top of the list - the 7000 series.
    Pick "plot to file"
    Pick "edit plotter configuration"
    Under "Device and document settings" pick "Physical pen configuration", pick "pen configuration".
    Pick the list box "pen optimization level", pick "adds full motion optimization".

This should produce a PEN plot file in which there is no wasted pen-up motion; since you are programming, perhaps you can intercept the output for your uses.
    Beware - circles/arcs with tangential lines can still produce some strange combinations of movements.

HTH

Login to Give a bone

Exactly, except I'm not using a pen plotter. So my VBA project exports motion commands to an XY table with a deposition head that "writes" electrically conductive lines, ie board traces. What I'm tring to get access to is exactly how autocad "sorts" entities for plotting with the hopes that I can use a similar method to sort a dxf file, after which I can export the "sorted motion commands" for my machine.

Login to Give a bone

You don't need a pen plotter - you get an HPGL file.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    You don't need a pen plotter - you get an HPGL file.
    If you've used the older versions of P plotter drivers then this file is simply a text file listing start & end positions of lines for each "pen" number. Don't use the newer plotter types as these use the new binary HPGL2 format which would be difficult to read.

You've already mentioned using the DXF codes to obtain XY coordinates. It shouldn't be more difficult to get these from the HPGL file.