Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 viewports with 2 different scales but same text

Login to Give a bone

Default 2 viewports with 2 different scales but same text

I have a dwg at 1/8" scale that has text in model space none in paperspace. My engineer wants to blow up a section of the 1/8" dwg to a 1/4" scale. I need to make the text in the 1/4" viewport 1/2 the size of the 1/8" dwg so it doesn't look so big in the 1/4" scale dwg. As I'm editing the dwg I don't want to have to edit the text twice (once for each viewport or each scale). Is there a way in Autocad 2007 to edit text once and it changes in both viewports even though the text is different scale size in each viewport?

Thank you,
    Adam

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2 viewports with 2 different scales but same text

No, but it exists in R2008 and later. It's called annotative text.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

If you don't have 2008, and aren't going there shortly, you could use fields to load the value from the 1/8" scale version into a text scaled for 1/4" on a different layer. Then every time a regen happens this field will reload the value. Just remember to copy these together so you don't have to re-map the fields for other pieces of text - maybe by grouping them this would be ensured.

Login to Give a bone

Copy the text to a different layer and edit it.
    Use the vport layer controls to freeze an unwanted layer in each vport.

Login to Give a bone

rkmcswain:
    If I edit this dwg in 2008 at my day job and then put it back into 2004 (at my evening job) and continue working on the dwg. Will the text still update itself like in 2008 or does it loose those qualities? I will have to look up how to use that command.

irneb:
    I'm not sure how to use the fields command. Do you know if this is a command in 2004?
    I will have to play with that feature to see how it works.

jaberwok:
    Normally your right I would just put the text on a different layer, but I'm trying not to edit that text twice. Seeing the text is in both viewports...don't ask me why they are doing that, I just do the drafting.

Thanks guys you have really given me some options to try.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by adam.monahan View Post
    rkmcswain:
    If I edit this dwg in 2008 at my day job and then put it back into 2004 (at my evening job) and continue working on the dwg. Will the text still update itself like in 2008 or does it loose those qualities? I will have to look up how to use that command.
    I don't think it's going to work that easily. The new "object" type of Annotative gets converted to a block when you saveas to 2004 version DWG. Then if you edit that in 2004, it looses the functionality when you open it in 2008.

irneb:
    I'm not sure how to use the fields command. Do you know if this is a command in 2004?
    I will have to play with that feature to see how it works.
    I can't remember when this came about, I think it was 2005. Even if so you should be able to do much the same using the Express Tools - RTEXT. It may just work differently. Unfortunately the oldest AC we've got installed here is 2007 so I can't test this for you.

BTW, if you're just stating day / evening job as a euphemism, then you may be in luck. If you mean that you take the DWG home to work on it there, AutoDesk does provide you with a license to install a second copy on your personal PC - as long as you don't use both Work & Personal PC's at the same time - this used to only be available for LapTops. So you could install 2008 at home. See this thread at AutoDesk: http://discussion.autodesk.com/threa...hreadID=654304

If by eavening job you mean you're going to another company - then sorry for you you'll have to then play around with fields / rtext.

Login to Give a bone

No, I actually mean I work for 2 different companies. I do drafting about 16 to 17 hrs a day.
    Is that telling me I that I can install another copy of 08' or 04' (but not both) on my home computer legally?
    At my day job we have 08' and the evening job 04' so of course I would rather install 08' on my PC at home. There is a lot of times on the weekends that I would love working from home seeing I'm never home during the week. That would just make life a little easier. Now I wonder can I still do that seeing I work for 2 different companies?

Rtext that is another command that I haven't used. Geez! I sound like such a newb. even though I have been drafting for 15yrs. I guess I feel that way because this is the first time I have been in the forums on this Augi site.

Login to Give a bone

If you're under subscription at work, you can log into the subscription center and use the "home use license" program. They will let you put a licensed copy on your home machine. Once you install it, you need to contact Adesk for an authorization code.

Login to Give a bone

My company was thinking that it has to be a company provided PC at home. I have my CAD support group looking into the licensing. Any more info on this subject would be helpful.

Login to Give a bone

My company was thinking that it has to be a company provided PC at home. I have my CAD support group looking into the licensing. Any more info on this subject would be helpful.
    Here's the agreement. It says on a second location may include a computer located at the home of your employee or on your employees' personal computer.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast