See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revit 2009 / Mental Ray Workflow...

I could stop if I wanted to PaperStreet SoapCO's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2009 / Mental Ray Workflow...

There is no external library to save to? Freakin ridiculous. While I appreciate the work that went into explaining the workaround it still seems like a headache to maintain a custom material library. Maybe I am overreacting but this seems like a major error on Autodesk's part here...I would much rather it be an oversight on their part and not a marketing scheme - the former is forgiveable while the latter is extremely disconcerting...

EDIT: Looked at ADSK's website to see what they are selling 3DS Max for and noticed there is a 3DS Max Design now as well - both are the same price. Anyone know the difference? Is only one interoperable with Revit/AutoCAD? If so, that might be even more ridiculous than not being able to save materials to an external location... SketchUp and Podium anyone? Total cost of $600 US - throw in Piranesi and I'm still short of the 3DS Max price by 2Gs. And upgrade prices that are roughly $400 less than ADSK subscriptions...
    Last edited by Chad Koscinski; 2008-04-22 at 11:37 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to rmejia's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by PaperStreet SoapCO View Post
    EDIT: Looked at ADSK's website to see what they are selling 3DS Max for and noticed there is a 3DS Max Design now as well - both are the same price. Anyone know the difference? Is only one interoperable with Revit/AutoCAD?
    The difference is one comes with the 3dsmax SDK and the other (design) comes with the new lighting analysis tools (and perhaps some other architecture related tools). Apart from that they both function identically. Maybe ADSK's intention in the future is to further separate them more.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by PaperStreet SoapCO View Post
    There is no external library to save to? Freakin ridiculous. While I appreciate the work that went into explaining the workaround it still seems like a headache to maintain a custom material library. Maybe I am overreacting but this seems like a major error on Autodesk's part here...I would much rather it be an oversight on their part and not a marketing scheme - the former is forgiveable while the latter is extremely disconcerting...

This is a reaction predicted for this release. The library has been discussed and was not added (YET) to Revit due to just trying to get the switch made between Accurender and MR. Believe me the factory has heard an earful on this topic over and over etc from many people including me that this just is not workable as is (readily anyway). The custom library is on the production schedule and we were told that the idea to include it was part of the original goals, but it just couldn't happen for this release.

I could stop if I wanted to PaperStreet SoapCO's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Ok, phew ... that makes me feel better. I'm glad that they are working towards it. Still though, I would like to see it quickly as I am working on projects in 2009 now

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Skisouth View Post
    This is a reaction predicted for this release. The library has been discussed and was not added (YET) to Revit due to just trying to get the switch made between Accurender and MR. Believe me the factory has heard an earful on this topic over and over etc from many people including me that this just is not workable as is (readily anyway). The custom library is on the production schedule and we were told that the idea to include it was part of the original goals, but it just couldn't happen for this release.

Hi Ski,
    thanks once again for your (calm) post.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Revit 2009 / Mental Ray Workflow...

Nice to have this kind of info, for the future release.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by trombe View Post
    Hi Ski,
    thanks once again for your (calm) post.
    Well, it only appears as a calm response. I've vented in other forums, and finally settled down and listened after a couple of explanations were offered. I'm just passing on what information I have, as I understand it. I think that I get caught up in the idea that now that Autodesk owns Revit, that there is not the same concern for the end user that the factory once had. From the responses I received that is simply not the case. While there appears to be different culture, it seems there are a lot of original programmers/developers that still "have the vision."

Now do I think the old factory version (Irwin and crew) would listen better on long standing items (that Aaron could better address ) ? Probably. Would I prefer the updates coming constantly as of old and when I purchased Revit - yes. It goes on. The reality is though that Autodesk does own the product now. We can simply voice in this forum and others freely our thoughts and ideas and hope that those in charge of the development system listen. The other side to the argument though is the problems created by offering some solutions are not evident to us as end users all the time, so a lot of the ideas expressed are simply not feasible quickly. So here's to this release- and the new features that the intelligent, rational discussion expressed here and other forums will bring about

(side note - I hate the new zoom dial/pan thingy - but I get to live with it )

Login to Give a bone

Irusan, Thanks for the excellent workaround. A solution rather than a complaint to address a features short-coming in the true spirit of this forum. In an indirect way, this also addresses some of the material purge issues... you can build your template files without materials and then transfer in the most appropriate all together from a purpose built material library.

Now to go clean up our family library to work with Mental Ray.

I could stop if I wanted to eldad's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

thanks Irusan for bringing this to light, as usual Autodesk has a motive behind every decision they make, and in this case, making sure they don't hurt Max sales in the process of making Revit better. It seems to me that it is a conflict of interest developing those 2 products, and it shouldn't be!
    Accurender was crippled for the same reason, and now we are getting another half baked and crippled product.
    Thanks Graphisoft for Archicad!!! because if it wasn't for them and other competitors, I believe we would have gotten a worst product from Autodesk.
    this policy of Autodesk will only drive people away from Revit.
    let's hope a better solution will come soon

"the views expressed here are of my personal opinion"

Login to Give a bone

ok I was looking to add custom image files and getting a little frustrated BUT voila....on the RENDER APPEARANCE tab, Based on: click on replace, select the misc. class and select GENERIC. Below the preview image you'll see Generic Material Properties, then a color pull down with the choices 1) single colour and 2) image file

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12