Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revit Best Practices (RBP) - Line Patterns & Line Weights

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Best Practices (RBP) - Line Patterns & Line Weights

Did you have to modify anything that came OOTB when you changed the lineweights? I've also read to just go 2 to 16 (thinnest to thickest) reserving 1 for fill patterns. Is this the approach you took, Andre. Appreciate the feedback, Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

We only modified our Template file. Essentially we did 4 project in Revit with OOTB lineweights letting each team adjust as neccessary then we compared our results, compared them against our old Acad standards and picked lineweights for our template file. Since then, every new project uses the lineweights from the template and every object loaded in adopts the lineweights from the project, flawless. The concept of reserving 1 for fill patterns is a good idea which we didn't know about when we set up our standards back in 2003.

Login to Give a bone

We were more extensive and have changed the line styles for all of the family templates as well as our project template.
    Before CAD we could draw perfectly fine with 8 (or less) line weights, we assign the first 8 to those line weights and adjust them for scale based on feedback from our architects. We then took 9-16 and made constant line weights, ie regardless of the scale it will be the same line weight, since some of the feedback we received supported that practice for certain families and uses. It took a lot of work, but the feedback from the office has been overwhelmingly positive. Now if I could just rename the pen weights...heaven.
    It should also be noted, that at this same time, we had already determined that we were going to redo all of the fill patterns and name them according to masterformat, so switching the line weight while doing that just became part of the process.
    A side benefit has been that all families that haven't been vetted become very obvious and has encouraged people to submit the families that they find "around" for approval by staff.

j
    Last edited by joshua; 2009-03-13 at 03:24 PM. Reason: errata

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

May I ask how or why you reserve Pen 1 for fill patterns? I'm just thinking some fill patterns I need wide, invisible, and thin lines (boundry lines) all within that one fill area. I'm hoping to just understand how this approach is utilized.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    May I ask how or why you reserve Pen 1 for fill patterns? I'm just thinking some fill patterns I need wide, invisible, and thin lines (boundry lines) all within that one fill area. I'm hoping to just understand how this approach is utilized.
    It isn't a question of why or how - Revit just does it. Revit uses Pen 1 for all of its surface and cut patterns. There is no other choice.

So most of us avoid using Pen 1 for anything else. Then you don't have to worry about changing your hatch when you change some other object using Pen 1.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Joshua,
    I am curious what uses you found that supported/demanded the fixed lineweights? I have played a bit with using fixed lineweights for some diagramatic families, for site analysis, bubble diagrams, etc. Just wondering what others have found useful.

Thanks,
    Gordon

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple View Post
    It isn't a question of why or how - Revit just does it. Revit uses Pen 1 for all of its surface and cut patterns. There is no other choice.

So most of us avoid using Pen 1 for anything else. Then you don't have to worry about changing your hatch when you change some other object using Pen 1.
    Interesting. I can the reasoning now.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

This only happens for standard material patterns.

With any filters or overrides as of 2009 they were configured to line weight 2.

An intersting thing with 2010 is these now default to the project line weight object style of the modelling item.

This has made for some interesting changes to our template, but also has allow us for more expansion with individual customisation of hatches, really allows our documentation to appear much nicer.

The services is a little different again.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

A lot of interesting discussion however it is interesting no one has mentioned adjusting object graphic control through the Object Style dialogue box! As mentioned in one post, the desire to modify line weights was to obtain better graphic display. That should be the goal always; after all what we do are communication documents and the graphics are the language we use.

I am one of those "old fogies" mentioned. I have been drawing / presenting ideas graphically since 1968 and it still is interesting how we strive to have that same feel we had when creating graphics by hand. A floor plan is a graphic btw for you new folks.

I have used the line weights OOTB and modified them as well. We have looked at the NCS and are trying to work toward that standard. Our concern there; the lack of understanding of what the graphics represent as a communication device. For instance; placement of a revision tag on a revision cloud does not tell the builder what has been revised. That is, the tag is not placed where the actual change has happened leaving the builder to "discover" what has changed! I have had builders question the validity of drawings if they suspect the drafter is not clear about what they are doing. And there is always the possiblitly of a construction error as a result.

We have taken the time in our office to make sure all line types are clearly obivious to anyone (professional or lay person) looking at the drawings. Our lineweights were developed by setting the units to millimeters and making the adjustments to the values. I know what a .25mm pen is from past work. Once we had that setup we swiched our units back to Feet and Inches. Our Line Styles have lines listed by their respective Line Weights; Line .25, Line .35 .... etc. We call the approach LCD; lowest common denominator or even the boss can get it !!

And through trial and some error we have been working with the Object Style dialogue to control display for plotting. It can be very helpful for the Detail section objects such as beams, headers and steel sections. Change the lineweight settings in one location and you have a global change in the model

The idea of a national standard is appealing to a certain extent, however, I think some individual self expression needs to be allowed and encouraged. For NCS to get down to lineweights is petty and overreaching.

John

Login to Give a bone

I know this is an old post but has anything changed with regards to fill patterns in 2011? Is there a difference if it's a drafting or model pattern and cut of surface? The reason I'm asking is that I have a ceiling plan with a 2x2 grid pattern that is a model surface pattern and a cmu wall that has a cross hatch drafting pattern and changing line weight 1 for the particular scale affects the cut drafting pattern but the surface model pattern does not change. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast