Thread: Pipe Elbows

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Pipe Elbows

I've noticed something odd with pipe elbows in Revit MEP 2008. The elbows appear extremely "fat" in comparison to the pipes. My pipes are 1/2" coming in and out of the heat pumps, and even though the computer tells me that the elbows are also 1/2", it appears on the screen like it is a 4" fitting. Any ideas on why this might be happening?

All AUGI, all the time kyle.bernhardt's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Pipe Elbows

Sounds like the Fitting is not finding its LookupTable value properly, and then defaulting to the larger size. What happens when you change the size of the Elbow? Does the Elbow actually change size? Does it jump between normal size and "big" depending on the pipe size?

Kyle B
    Revit MEP Product Manager

Login to Give a bone

I am assuming that you have the view set to "fine" detail level, showing the actual size....
    Unless Kyle is correct, not finding the proper size in the lookup table, it's possible that the family is adding too much to the actual size of the piping...
    I.E. Most piping elbows I have dealt with have the elbow radius being 1/8" larger than the actual size of the pipe connecting to it...so our 1/2" pipes are actually 3/4" (1/2"+1/8"+1/8") But 1/2" with a 4" fitting is excessive...so it sounds like foul play (looking it up incorrectly in the lookup table...)

Hope you figured it out...

Luigi
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMeyrow View Post
    I've noticed something odd with pipe elbows in Revit MEP 2008. The elbows appear extremely "fat" in comparison to the pipes. My pipes are 1/2" coming in and out of the heat pumps, and even though the computer tells me that the elbows are also 1/2", it appears on the screen like it is a 4" fitting. Any ideas on why this might be happening?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

There is a stock fitting (name escapes me right now) whose "matching" lookup file does not have a matching name. This is probably the culprit. Whenever a fitting doesn't seem to "play" along...check to make sure it has a matching lookup file.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Pipe Elbows

sounds like a logical explaination but, this old man just wants to design plumbing systems and produce construction documents from the model. Steve, do you know if that fitting has been ided in 09 and addressed? i have had a problem with the issue mentioned but i cannot say that it was isolated to a specific elbow. i believe the last time i noticed it it was a reducing sanitary tee. and there were others of the same fitting elsewhere in the model

Login to Give a bone

Was this ever solved?
    I know that we have a pipe elbow where the insulation is not showing up correctly - that seems to be what is "fatter" than it should be. If I delete the insulation from the family, then reload into a project, the pipe seems correct. But with the insulation drawn and given a value of "0" it draws a fat piece of insulation in the project.

And pipe transitions seem odd. Why do they seem larger than they should be?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

I did resolve this issue. The company IT manager changed the drive mapping letter of the server where the lookup table resided. I edited the .ini file to redirect Revit to the new location, and the problem corrected itself.

My guess is that Revit dropped in a generic sized elbow to take the place of the fitting it couldn't "lookup."

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I just wanted to add to this... since I had the same problem... our Revit 2009 MEP folder moved on the network.

All you need to do is edit the revit.ini file in the: C:\Program Files\Revit MEP 2009\Program\ folder. Point to the new location of the LookupTable and like magic it all works again .

This was really killing thanks for the help people.