Thread: Where do I go from here when I completed the associate degree in CAD?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Where do I go from here when I completed the associate degree in CAD?

Currently, I am working on the associate degree in CAD? I view the associate degree in CAD as only the first step in the process of my education. My question is what degree or programs should I focus on as I begin a new career in CAD? Let's say that I am interested in architecture field or even in civil engineering, should I start working on B.S. degree when I finish the associate degree? My goal here is to continue to improve myself and to learn skills that will help me to advance. Thanks.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Where do I go from here when I completed the associate degree in CAD?

Quote Originally Posted by deaconligon View Post
    Currently, I am working on the associate degree in CAD? I view the associate degree in CAD as only the first step in the process of my education.
    Good for you, you have a plan and that is half the battle.

My question is what degree or programs should I focus on as I begin a new career in CAD?
    Go with what interests you the most, but dabble in other cousre offerings as well.

Let's say that I am interested in architecture field or even in civil engineering, should I start working on B.S. degree when I finish the associate degree?
    I say wait a little bit, you could end up working somewhere where the 'pay' for most of your schooling.

My goal here is to continue to improve myself and to learn skills that will help me to advance. Thanks.
    This worked for me, may or may not work for you. Take a job while in school, you learn so much more in the workplace...makes course work a breeze if you are so lucky to get a job drafting while in school. This will also help you to answer which BS you should go for, Plus job experience and a degree equals more pay to pay back your student loans.

Best of luck to you.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Where do I go from here when I completed the associate degree in CAD?

If you want to up your payscale and knowledge base I would suggest you look into getting your b.s. It would be best if you could arrange to work for a place that pays for your schooling.

With the advancements in the cad arena more and more drafters are having to become educated in the design/engineering field. The programs are becoming more of a design tool and knowing what to input as opposed to just a line/arc/circle is very important. The days of just red-line inputting are becoming a thing of the past. (IMHO)

Login to Give a bone

Be sure to discuss options with your current advisor as well as advisors at prospective colleges. Many classes required to receive an A.A.S. degree do not transfer towards a B.S. degree (some as electives).

There are a couple of universities here in Kansas that offer a B.A.S. degree (Bachelor of Applied Science), and they will transfer the A.A.S. degree directly as the first two years of study for the four year degree.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by chadwickt View Post
    Be sure to discuss options with your current advisor as well as advisors at prospective colleges. Many classes required to receive an A.A.S. degree do not transfer towards a B.S. degree (some as electives).

There are a couple of universities here in Kansas that offer a B.A.S. degree (Bachelor of Applied Science), and they will transfer the A.A.S. degree directly as the first two years of study for the four year degree.
    I concur with this. Our university here does the same thing. CADD, Electronics, Welding, and Automotive Technology all feed in as the first two years of a BAS degree. This is kind of backwards from an engineering degree, in which the first year to year and a half are pretty generic before you start becoming specialized. With the BAS, your specialization (CADD or whatever) comes first.

I certainly wouldn't stop with the AAS degree unless you absolutely have to. I also agree with ameador that somebody who just drafts is becoming a thing of the past.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Where do I go from here when I completed the associate degree in CAD?

Down to the nearest pub methinks.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Where do I go from here when I completed the associate degree in CAD?

I am sorry for adding on to a thread that seemed to have died months ago, but I just felt like I needed to weigh in.

Our local community college has 2 different "CADD" programs, mechanical and architectural. The campus I attended had the mech, however, the closer I got to finishing, I realized I wish I had driven a little farther to get the arch. The program entails physics, statics, strength of materials, calculus, etc. and Northrup Grumman takes graduates and places them as designers. Graduates can also transfer with that AAS to Old Dominion University in the MET (Mechanical Engineering Technology) program with 2 years left. NG will pay for you to complete the Bachelors.