Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Network deployment...

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default 2009 Network deployment...

Why cant i get it to remembet the path to the libraries? I made the net deployment, it created the link, i went to all the workstations, clicked the link.

When you click the link, it makes you go through the regular installation stuff, except it doesnt ask you to pick the paths. I figured this was because it would get them from the deployment... But it didnt.

What am i missing? I even went in to Modify the Delpoyment, and checked, and all the pathing is correct in there...

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2009 Network deployment...

Hi there,

For deployments I go into the configuration settings and setup the deploy of content to look like the screenshot attached. This way the content goes to the local machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

A little off-topic, but we use BAT files to copy a custom INI file to the workstation. The benefit is we don't have to worry about content locations in the deployments or during service pack upgrades through the year and we can make changes to everyone's INI file with changes to one INI file on the server.

This is the code:

set rac=%ProgramFiles%\Revit Architecture 2009
    set path=%~dp0

if exist "%rac%\Program\Revit.INI" copy "%path%\Custom Revit.INI" "%rac%\Program\Revit.INI" /y

exit
    This script is kept in the same folder as the custom INI file and run at login. This is the most basic of scripts. I have also added code to copy keyboard shortcuts, import settings, etc.

I could stop if I wanted to scowsert's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'm curious about this approach. How do you deal with the username that's storied in the ini file?

Quote Originally Posted by BMcCallum View Post
    A little off-topic, but we use BAT files to copy a custom INI file to the workstation. The benefit is we don't have to worry about content locations in the deployments or during service pack upgrades through the year and we can make changes to everyone's INI file with changes to one INI file on the server.

This is the code:

This script is kept in the same folder as the custom INI file and run at login. This is the most basic of scripts. I have also added code to copy keyboard shortcuts, import settings, etc.

Login to Give a bone

Elmo-

The issue is i dont want content on the local machines. Then everytime someone changes it, they have unique content. It causes issues. All of our content is stored on the network, and i pointed the deployment config to it (and verified it when i went in to Modify the deployment). But when you click the link and install on a station, it skips the pathing screen (i ASSumed because it was using the one in the deployment, but its not...).

BMC, weve been doing the same... Manually installing, then copying around an ini file thats had the paths editied, and replacing just the username of the particular individual on the workstation when we replace the default ini with the modified one.

BUT, we WERE doing that as a band aid in place fo the deployment... I guess right now im missing the point of the deployment, unless its just so you dont have to copy the installer file around...

Login to Give a bone

The content that is being installed is nothing but the template families. I honestly believe that one really uses these cause most of my clients don't. What I usually do is create a shortcut to their library folder inside of Revit so that they always have those attached. You can add this path when you go and configure your deploy and go to this place in the screen shot. You should be able to add the locations for the search paths.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Youre missing what im saying. I DID configure that screen in the Deployment. If i go in to the MODIFY deployment to check it, theyre all pathed to the location on our Network where i have the family templates stored.

Its when you push the deployment out to the end user stations, it doesnt path anything on them. I guess what im getting at, is why does it let you pick paths in the deployment, if it doesnt use them when you push the deployment down through the link?

I could stop if I wanted to tonyisenhoff's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Not exactly what you're asking, but though this may help.

I've created a deployment, added the paths using drive letters, then went back & modified the deployment (a few times during testing). During one attempt, when I tested the deployment, my paths (that were drive letters in the deployment) ended up being UNC paths... Weird, but I went back in and modified the deployment, repathed using drive letters again, then it stuck.

Tony Isenhoff

Login to Give a bone

Could be as Tonyi Says it. It might be that the deploy wants a drive letter. So on all your machines map the folder path and see what it does. Try and set them all to be one letter. Prefferably something like a Z or something.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I haven't had much problem with the deployments, except that it doesn't let me set half of what I want to set. So, I usually do a loose configuration of the deployment and then go and heavily edit the Revit.ini file in the following deployment path:

...\Network Deployment\AdminImage\RevitSetup\RevitBuilding\program files\Revit Architecture 2009\program

Here's a version of what I paste in over what the deployment creates...

[Revit.ini]
    [Directories]
    DefaultTemplate=\\dalfs\ARCHITECTURE\Revit\Beck Content\BECK Templates\Project Templates\Beck 2009 Template.rte
    FamilyTemplatePath=\\dalfs\ARCHITECTURE\Revit\Beck Content\BECK Templates\Family Templates
    DataLibraryLocations=Imperial Library=\\dalfs\ARCHITECTURE\Revit\Revit 2009 Content\Architecture 2009 Content\Imperial Library, Imperial Detail Library=\\dalfs\arCHITECTURE\Revit\Revit 2009 Content\Architecture 2009 Content\Imperial Library\Detail Components, Training Files=\\dalfs\arCHITECTURE\Revit\Revit 2009 Content\Architecture 2009 Content\Training, Beck Content=\\dalfs\arCHITECTURE\Revit\Beck Content, Beta Content=\\dalfs\arCHITECTURE\Revit\Beck Content\BETA Content, Architecture Job Files=\\dalfs\arCHITECTURE\Job_Files
    ProjectPath=\\dalfs\ARCHITECTURE\Job_Files
    ImportLineweightsNameDWG=C:\Program Files (x86)\Revit Architecture 2009\Data\importlineweights-dwg-default.txt
    IESFileLocation=\\dalfs\ARCHITECTURE\Revit\Revit 2009 Content\Architecture 2009 Content\IES
    MaterialLibraryFiles=\\dalfs\ARCHITECTURE\Revit\Revit 2009 Content\Architecture 2009 Content\Data\Rendering\assetlibrary_base.fbx
    ExternalParameters=\\dalfs\ARCHITECTURE\Revit\Beck Content\BECK Templates\Shared Parameters\BECK Shared Parameters.txt
    [DesignPane]
    Basics=1
    View=1
    Modeling=1
    Drafting=1
    Rendering=1
    Site=1
    Massing=1
    AreaAnalysis=0
    Structural=1
    Construction=1
    Mechanical=0
    Electrical=0
    RoomAndArea=1
    [Language]
    Select=ENU
    [Applications]
    Mechanical=0
    Electrical=0
    Architectural=1
    Structural=0
    [Messages]
    SuppressNewFeaturesWorkshop=0
    SuppressForceRasterPrintingWarning=0
    SuppressShowMassWarning=0
    SuppressShowButtonMessage=0
    [InstallationSettings]
    Country=USA
    Language=ENU
    Usage=Architectural
    [ContentSearch]
    Site=http://contentsearch.autodesk.com
    [Windows]
    Maximized=0
    [ToolBar]
    TextLabels=1
    Standard=1
    View=1
    Edit=1
    Tools=1
    Worksets=1
    DesignOptions=1
    Help=1
    APITrackChanges=0
    VSTAMacros=0
    ContentSearch=1
    [ExternalCommands]
    ECCount=2
    ECName1="Innovaya Composer for Revit"
    ECDescription1="Exports Revit Model to Innovaya Project Model"
    ECClassName1=innoComposerRevit2009.Command
    ECAssembly1="C:\Program Files\Innovaya\Adapters\innoComposerRevit2008.dll"
    ECName2=NavisWorks JetStream v5
    ECDescription2=File exporter for NavisWorks JetStream v5
    ECClassName2=NavisWorks5.LcRevitExportCommand
    ECAssembly2=C:\Program Files (x86)\NavisWorks 5\nwexportrevit2008\nwexportrevit2008.dll
    [Backups]
    SaveReminderMinutes=30
    [Selection]
    AllowPressAndDrag=0
    [AutoCam]
    HasShownSteeringWheelFirstContact=1
    SteeringWheelShowHUDMessages=1
    SteeringWheelShowTooltips=1
    AlwaysShowPinnedWheelOnStartup=0
    BigSteeringWheelSize=1
    BigSteeringWheelOpacity=1
    MiniSteeringWheelSize=1
    MiniSteeringWheelOpacity=1
    SteeringWheelInvertVerticalAxis=0
    SteeringWheelConstrainWalkAngleToGround=1
    SteeringWheelSpeedFactor=30
    SteeringWheelEnableIncrementalZoomIn=0
    SteeringWheelKeepSceneUpright=1
    SteeringWheelSelectionSensitivity=1
    [ChainOptions]
    Walls=1
    Lines=1
    [Graphics]
    InvertBackground=0
    [Recent File List]
    File1=\\dalfs\ARCHITECTURE\Revit\Beck Content\BECK Templates\Project Templates\Beck 2009 Template.rte
    File2=\\dalfs\ARCHITECTURE\Revit\Beck Content\BECK System Families (3D)\BECK Standard Stair Types.rvt
    File3=\\dalfs\ARCHITECTURE\Revit\Beck Content\BECK System Families (3D)\BECK Standard Wall Types.rvt

Steering Wheel settings, Press and Drag settings, more detailed content and rendering paths, etc... As long as you put them in the folder above it will work. If you put it in the Admin Image or Revit Building folder it doesn't "stick."

Naturally, I assumed that since this worked with the Revit.ini file that it would work with the KeyboardShortcuts.txt file in the same directory. Nope. That one won't install no matter where you put the bloody thing (at least that I can find). Anyone had any luck in getting that to install in the image? We don't use the **** shortcuts that come default, and it's a PITA to go to every workstation to install a shortcut when the network install runs so smoothly...
    Last edited by Calvn_Swing; 2008-05-14 at 11:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast