See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Autocad 2009 seems to open files partially without asking or notifying us

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Autocad 2009 seems to open files partially without asking or notifying us

Autocad 2009 seems to open files partially without asking or notifying us.

We have drawings that we just setup from scratch (using arch xrefs for background). When we open the file the xrefs seem to be gone but they are loaded, all layers turned on/thawed and nothing is clipped.

After a couple of hours of trying to figure this out, I tried to purge the drawing and this message showed up, "PURGE cannot be used on partially opened drawings".

So it appears that autocad decided that it wants to partially open the drawing with no notification. It was also noted that if the file was partially opened that you could not "saveas" any version other than 2007.

We have also noticed that if we open the file from explorer (double click the file) an autocad message appears. The message says "This drawing contains a large number of annotation scales. Do you want to reset the scales list?" If we click "yes" it seems to open the file normally from then on (if we save).

We find this totally unacceptable to have files that might or might not fully load all layers (or anything else being suppressed). At this time we have told everyone to stop using the 2009 version of autocad.

We might have missed something in the documentation with regard to this problem. If so we would appreciate it if someone could point us in the right direction.

At this time we will not be using 2009 until we are 100% sure that all of our files will always fully load.

Chris

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autocad 2009 seems to open files partially without asking or notifying us

Steve Johnson (AutoCAD bug watch guy) has something about this on his blog:

http://www.blog.cadnauseam.com/

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autocad 2009 seems to open files partially without asking or notifying us

Quote Originally Posted by duhvinci View Post
    Steve Johnson (AutoCAD bug watch guy) has something about this on his blog:

http://www.blog.cadnauseam.com/

Thanks for the tip,
    Now I need to figure out why I need to figure out a new under-documented feature.

Chris

I could stop if I wanted to Steve Johnson's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by FRAMEDNLV View Post
    After a couple of hours of trying to figure this out, I tried to purge the drawing and this message showed up, "PURGE cannot be used on partially opened drawings".
    You're lucky AutoCAD 2009 was that well behaved, because I've seen it purge stuff that is still in use in the drawing. For example, a text style being used by text within a block that is clearly visible on the screen. Not good.

For future reference, here's the direct link to the blog posting in question. The avoidance solution is to set OPENPARTIAL to 0 and reopen your drawing.

Login to Give a bone

We have been using C3D 2009 since January and this has not caused any problems for us. I attribute that to the fact that our drawing template has INDEXCTL set to 0 which renders OPENPARTIAL inactive.

Since INDEXCTL is saved in the drawing there is a possibility that we could encounter this bug in some drawings. I have added a line in my ACADDOC.lsp file to set OPENPARTIAL to 0 every time a drawing is opened. It will remain that way until I have time to investigate this further.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

FYI:
    I'm currently using the same ACADDOC for 2008 and 2009 so I use the following code to set the variable only if it exists.
    Code:

(if (/= nil (getvar "openpartial"))(setvar "openpartial" 0))