Thread: Revit Spider Connection Glazing

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Spider Connection Glazing

I've been making some families trying to achieve a James Carpenter spider connection type of curtain wall in Revit. Creating the family is simple enough but the second I load the family type into my model and use it everything memory wise slows to a hault.

I have a 23 story office tower where we are using this type of connection from top to bottom. In this case I only tried it on a single facade of three 10' panels. After doing so everything becomes immensely slow and unworkable. I'm afraid to use this on the entire building for fear of a super crash.

I also have to render this in max, and when I import the .dwg, 3ds Max also becomes ridiculously slow. Has anybody had any problems with this or intricate family types that when loaded cause problems?

I could stop if I wanted to Phil Read's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Spider Connection Glazing

PPPlease make certain the Visibility of the spider clip is set to Fine level of detail.

-Phil

Login to Give a bone

Phil,

I know what the detail level does to showing the image but in terms of the family. Does Changing it to fine allow the family to be worked with quicker when the view detail is set to medium for instance. what I really want to know is does it allow parameter changes to occur quicker if the parameters are yes/no parameters that are all connected to items with visibility set to fine and worked on or manipulated in a medium or rougher view??? (currently facing an issue with a complex family that is controled with over 75 parameter to get complete customization and changing many of the yes/no parameters taxes the computers and takes upwards of 44 to change from on to off!)

Thanks!!!

I could stop if I wanted to Phil Read's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Changing the Visibility of the geometry to Fine while in the family editor will automatically turn on/off the element's visibility in the project depending on the detail level of the project view.

From the description of your project performance, it seems that the clip is showing up at coarse and medium detail levels in the project. Basically - if the lines that describe and element are overlapping or merging - there's little benefit to showing the element.

Setting the detail level of the family component will also control visibility much faster than using a "layers" approach to Visibility / Graphics. You probably don't need a subcategory assignment.

Regards -

-P

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Phil!