Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Door and Window Schedule

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Door and Window Schedule

I have been "test driving" Revit version 9.

Its a practice in Brunei to show graphical representation of doors and windows in
    "Doors and Window Schedule". Because of this, I cannot convinced my firm in to use Revit (oh yeah. "Doors and Window Schedule" is important to us if we are handling hundreds of doors. Our firm handle mostly goverment jobs)

I know theres a workaround (via Elevation marker). But its unacceptable. Only now I griped about this after seeing Archicad demonstrated to us and how it generates the window schedule.

Is there any improvement in RA2009 "Doors and Window Schedule"? I'm sold to Revit because of its power to manage drawing sheets. Because I believe, in my experienced. Properly organized or managed working drawings will lead to a smoother construction process.

I could stop if I wanted to rmejia's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Door and Window Schedule

By graphical representation do you mean elevation ? Revit does this in the Legends. Create a new legend, and add a Legend Component. There you can add plan view or elevation views for doors and windows, the schedule would then be placed in the sheet. Not sure if that is to what you are referring to ?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by junaustria View Post
    I have been "test driving" Revit version 9.

Its a practice in Brunei to show graphical representation of doors and windows in
    "Doors and Window Schedule". Because of this, I cannot convinced my firm in to use Revit (oh yeah. "Doors and Window Schedule" is important to us if we are handling hundreds of doors. Our firm handle mostly goverment jobs)

I know theres a workaround (via Elevation marker). But its unacceptable. Only now I griped about this after seeing Archicad demonstrated to us and how it generates the window schedule.

Is there any improvement in RA2009 "Doors and Window Schedule"? I'm sold to Revit because of its power to manage drawing sheets. Because I believe, in my experienced. Properly organized or managed working drawings will lead to a smoother construction process.
    You mean 2009 right? Version 9 came out 2+ years ago.

Have you looked at the Legend function of Revit? It will display graphical representations of your door and window types in elevation, which can then be dimensioned accordingly.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Windows do this in Legend Views but not Curtain Walls. So, if you're using Curtain Walls instead of Windows then you're only choice is to use elevate them.

To help manage them I create a new parameter for Drawing Type and use Management for new plans created at a large scale (larger than anything else being used in the project) where I place elevation markers. The large scale of the plan keeps the elevation markers out of other views and the Management Drawing Type keeps them organized separately from the other working Views.

Login to Give a bone

Today I tried a demo version of RA2009. Again, my desired look for the Doors and Window Schedule are split in the "Project Browser".

1. Under "Schedule/Quantities"
    2. Under "Legends"

My Door Schedule under "Schedule/Quantities" have a bidirectional relationship with my plans. But theres no birectional relationship between "Schedule/Quantities" and "Legends"

What I want to see if I deleted or change a door in the Schedule. The Legend view should follow.
    In the Archicad demo. they just drop the window schedule in the project and the schedule got the "Picture" field where it shows the elevation view of the door.

I wish they will add a Field for "Door or Window" Elevation view in the Schedule Properties.
    Or is there any other way close to this?

Login to Give a bone

Well, if you change a particular window type (change the size or some other type dimension in the family), then your legend view of that window type will update itself also.

However just remember that legend components are only tied to one particular type of one family, and only to its type parameters. Unfortunately there are no instance parameters with legend components, although it does sort of make sense that there isn't.

Login to Give a bone

I know, changes is easy. Maybe for now I will bear with the limitation then rather be left behind by the BIM wagon.

Login to Give a bone

Currently there is no support for graphic elements in a schedule. Legend views as others have mentioned is the only way to do close to what you are describing.

The question to ask I guess is how import is having the graphic of the door and winodws in your schedule when compared to the coordinated documents and other features you like about Revit.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    Currently there is no support for graphic elements in a schedule. Legend views as others have mentioned is the only way to do close to what you are describing.

The question to ask I guess is how import(ant?) is having the graphic of the door and winodws in your schedule when compared to the coordinated documents and other features you like about Revit.
    Drawings of Doors and Windows in the Schedule is a must here in this part of Asia (Phillipines, Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei are the countries I got involved with)

This drawings indicates not just the Height and Width but also any design on the panels. That will help the manufacturer speed up the process. This is the general practice here.

So this setup is as important as the rest of the features I lke in Revit.
    Revit will not change the output look of our document. Only the process of doing it.

So I hope Autodesk is listening. If they want Revit to gain more follower in Asia. They should look closely into the professional practice.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by junaustria View Post
    This drawings indicates not just the Height and Width but also any design on the panels. That will help the manufacturer speed up the process. This is the general practice here.
    I have done this as well here in the US. I have typically done this in a seperate "type schedule". I have never included the graphic information into the door or window schedule itself. I understand this is a standard where you work but unfortunatly Revit is not able to do what you are looking to do. A legend view in Revit serves this purpose very well. If you try a legend view for this you might find it serves the same purpose as placing the graphic in the schedule itself.

See attached image for an example of a "Type Schedule" done using a legend view.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jeffh; 2008-05-09 at 05:34 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast