Thread: Acad 2008 - Viewport Scales Change by Themselves in Locked Viewports

Login to Give a bone

Default Acad 2008 - Viewport Scales Change by Themselves in Locked Viewports

I've just started using Acad 2008 in the last 60 days after previously working with Acad 2006, and I have come across what I believe to be a bug that is driving me crazy.

I use Microvellum to generate 3D cabinets and millwork within model space at 1:1 scale. Viewports in paper space are typically laid out with Plan, Elevation, and Section views at 1-1/2" scale. I am using clipping planes to constrain what is displayed and a Shade Plot setting of 'Hidden' in each viewport; orientation of the model displayed in the viewport is selected through the 'View' toolbar. Dimensioning is done associatively in paper space, all other callouts are also placed in paper space.

At first when I observed this issue, I thought my paperspace dims and callouts were moving about on their own. Upon further investigation, it is actually the viewport scales that creep out of the proper ratio on their own, even inside a locked viewport.

The pulldown in the 'Viewports' toolbar continues to display the correct scale that I originally selected at all times.

When I see that my dimensioning or callouts appear to have shifted in paper space, I unlock the viewport, double click inside it, and again select the proper scale from the Viewport toolbar pulldown. When I do this, I can see the view of the model in the viewport zoom a small amount, correcting the error.

When this happens (frequently), it forces me to dimension everything individually in every viewport, occasionally more than once for each; it's maddening. The associative dimensions stay at the incorrect scale after I correct it and I have to replace them wholesale or match properties on all of them.

Never noticed this issue with AutoCAD 2006 and Microvellum. I've now experienced the same issue in a model that contains no Microvellum products, just Acad 2008 solids as well. This does not seem to be an nVidia driver issue as it has persisted through several updates of Forceware drivers and different Heidi drivers. Can anyone shed some light as to what is going on here or how to remedy this?

Thanks,

Brian

AutoCAD 2008 - B.219.0 (UNICODE) SP1
    Microvellum 6.7.704
    Intel Core2 6400/4GB RAM/QuadroFX 1500/Windows XP SP2

Performance Tuner Results Log
    Version: 17.2.0.2
    Date of Last Tune: 4/3/2008

Machine Configuration
    ---------------------
    Processor Speed : 2.1 GHz
    RAM : 3326 MB

3D Device
    ---------
    Name : NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500
    Manufacturer : NVIDIA
    Chip set : Quadro FX 1500
    Memory : 256.0 MB
    Driver : 6.14.0010.9136

Your machine contains a certified 3D Device with a driver version that is certified.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Acad 2008 - Viewport Scales Change by Themselves in Locked Viewports

While inside the viewport, ensure that UCSFOLLOW is turned to 0. That's the only one I can remember which zooms viewports. But, it sounds as if you're describing something different "scales that creep" - the UCSFOLLOW thing usually does a ZOOM ALL in each viewport.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Acad 2008 - Viewport Scales Change by Themselves in Locked Viewports

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    While inside the viewport, ensure that UCSFOLLOW is turned to 0. That's the only one I can remember which zooms viewports. But, it sounds as if you're describing something different "scales that creep" - the UCSFOLLOW thing usually does a ZOOM ALL in each viewport.
    0 seems to be the default (at least at the prompt) when I enter the viewport and then the UCSFOLLOW command.

I noticed fairly quickly when we got 2008 that if the view in each viewport is set to anything other than 2D wireframe, the views in those viewports zoom haphazardly in and out as I am panning and zooming in paper space. I'll try and capture a short video of this happening when I get a minute, it's very repeatable and a little disorienting <lol>.

This (and computer performance) is mainly why I have been setting all my viewports to 2D wireframe and my Shade Plot at 'Hidden'. Sort of a pain to dimension complex objects associatively this way, but it's the only combo I've found to work so far. If I select a 3D Hidden or Shaded view in the viewport, I can't even dimension or detail it in paper space as the scale jumps all over when I zoom in to find my snaps in paper space.

Thanks for your help!

Brian