I am working on a large project, with 5 individual building models linked into a site model. Three of the buildings have below grade connections that need to be coordinated, and I am trying to find the best way to balance performance with ease of coordination.

Initially we set up a separate workset in each model called Adjacent Building Coordination for just those items that would need to be seen in the other buildings, then linked the adjacent buildings with just that workset loaded. This worked for a while, until people started loading their own models with varied worksets, and now we get a warning about others using different worksets. The nice thing with this idea was that only the portion of the adjacent building that actually mattered would ever get loaded.

My next thought is just to link the entire adjacent building on a workset that is not on by default. Then you can turn it on in the views where you need it, and each user can have it or not. But once the models get really big, this could be a problem.

So, just wondering what others have done in similar situations?

Thanks,
Gordon