Our practice has a main office (2-3 people) and a remote office (one person) connected by VPN via cable modems and a Cisco VPN appliance. Up to now, we have managed to work on our Revit projects by "taking turns" on the file, but this has the obvious limitation of only allowing one of us at a time to work on any given project.

We are now working on a small hospital (95,000 SF), new from the ground up, and are planning to implement worksets and worksharing. When we did this a couple of years ago, the speed of our connection (at the time the office only had DSL) was too slow for the remote user to be able to work in an integrated, connected fashion. We THINK that with our cable modems that we may now have the bandwidth for this to work.

I've seen many mentions of remote worksharing and VPN, but no one has explicitly described their setup and how this is working for them. We'd prefer it if the remote user could stay connected and function as if he were at the next desk. I've also seen discussion threads about using Remote Desktop, which we could do but to do that we'll need to add another computer at the office just to host the remote user. We can do that, but it wouldn't be as slick as using the VPN to extend our LAN to the remote user.

If you've tried this, I'd love to know how it went for you. Thanks!

Randy